Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Unique use of a GE 70T
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 44 ]  [ Total: 44 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Unique use of a GE 70T
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Question for Paul or Cory Topic Next Topic: TCS is having a blowout sale...  

up1950s

Posted - 2008 May 27 :  2:44:13 PM  Show Profile
http://www.brian894x4.com/images/JohnBauer_12-21-88_2901-104_eugene.jpg
Richie Dost Photos http://picasaweb.google.com/up1950s

randgust

Posted - 2008 May 27 :  5:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
What's even more unique is that those are 70-ton trucks piled ON it 'feet in the air...'.....hmmm. that reminds me of something else....101 uses for a Dead 70-tonner?

No offense to cat lovers!

Edited by - randgust on 2008 May 27 5:52:17 PM

brokemoto

Posted - 2008 June 02 :  06:10:31 AM  Show Profile
The latest issue of MR has a seventy tonner as PASSENGER POWER. It seems that SP used one to power a two car train in Arizona. I was never aware that the SP (or any railroad, save one) did this. The article stated that the locomotive had a top speed rating of sixty MPH; I was not aware that a switcher went that fast. I suspect that pulling two passenger cars reduced the train speed to about forty MPH, but for a train like that one, speed was probably not a major concern.

The only other switcher that powered a revenue passenger train, at least of which I am aware, was Thousand Island Railway's 'Susan Push'.

Take heart, those of you with pikes so small and curves so sharp that you can only run switchers and the curves are too sharp for even a Bachpersonn doodlebug. You, too, can have passenger service: two Bachmann shorty cars and a switcher and start selling N scale tickets. You might want to buy three combines, though. Cut up two of the combines and bash them into a baggage car. Run the train with the baggage car and combine, as storage mail will bring more revenue than the few passengers. Bash the coach ends into a coach that can be a reserve for when one car goes into the shop or if there are more travellers than usual.

Thank you for your consideration and support.

Iain

Posted - 2008 June 03 :  4:59:53 PM  Show Profile
There is a photo on the wall of the Newport Consolidated School Alumni building in Newport, NC of a GE 44 tonner pulling a five car A&EC passenger train into town.

We will fight
Or we will fall
'Till the angels save us all

Hollywood Undead, Young

twister

Posted - 2008 June 03 :  5:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit twister's Homepage
add the Great Northern NW5's with a steam generator as switcher/passenger locos

sp4009

Posted - 2008 June 03 :  5:52:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by brokemoto

The latest issue of MR has a seventy tonner as PASSENGER POWER. It seems that SP used one to power a two car train in Arizona. I was never aware that the SP (or any railroad, save one) did this. The article stated that the locomotive had a top speed rating of sixty MPH; I was not aware that a switcher went that fast. I suspect that pulling two passenger cars reduced the train speed to about forty MPH, but for a train like that one, speed was probably not a major concern.

The only other switcher that powered a revenue passenger train, at least of which I am aware, was Thousand Island Railway's 'Susan Push'.

Take heart, those of you with pikes so small and curves so sharp that you can only run switchers and the curves are too sharp for even a Bachpersonn doodlebug. You, too, can have passenger service: two Bachmann shorty cars and a switcher and start selling N scale tickets. You might want to buy three combines, though. Cut up two of the combines and bash them into a baggage car. Run the train with the baggage car and combine, as storage mail will bring more revenue than the few passengers. Bash the coach ends into a coach that can be a reserve for when one car goes into the shop or if there are more travellers than usual.

On the SDA&E. 6 of the 21 units were assigned to San Diego. I had to look twice when I saw 60 MPH But, sure enough, 1966 special instructions shows them good for 55 MPH.

Not sure it I'd want to run 55 in one... Like driving the Autobahn in a golf cart

Joe Gartman
Locomotive Engineer, BNSF
Bakersfield, CA

brokemoto

Posted - 2008 June 04 :  05:56:22 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by twister

add the Great Northern NW5's with a steam generator as switcher/passenger locos

Did those things actually operate on passenger trains? I am aware that GN purchased them for use as station switchers, but I did not know that it operated them on revenue passenger trains. Did they have the speed for road passenger service?

Old Goat

Posted - 2008 June 05 :  08:05:30 AM  Show Profile
Diesel Era Magazine did an excellent two part series on the 70 ton loco in 1993 - 1994. Lots of great info and numerous photos.

ISSUE #6 NOVEMBER/DECEMBER : VOLUME 4 - YEAR 1993

ISSUE #2 MARCH/APRIL : VOLUME 5 - YEAR 1994

Matt

Edited by - Old Goat on 2008 June 05 10:18:09 PM

basementdweller

Posted - 2008 June 05 :  12:20:06 PM  Show Profile
ok help me out here, can you explain what is unique about the picture of the switchers. Excuse my ignorance.

It's all scenery.

up1950s

Posted - 2008 June 05 :  1:16:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
ok help me out here, can you explain what is unique about the picture of the switchers. Excuse my ignorance.

Looks like a short cab switcher in the center , maybe from a subway line .

Richie Dost Photos http://picasaweb.google.com/up1950s

Edited by - up1950s on 2008 June 05 3:14:25 PM

sp_train_77

Posted - 2008 June 05 :  1:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit sp_train_77's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by brokemoto

You, too, can have passenger service: two Bachmann shorty cars and a switcher and start selling N scale tickets. You might want to buy three combines, though. Cut up two of the combines and bash them into a baggage car.

Or, buy the Wheels of Time 60' Harriman coaches. About the same size as the Bachpersonn shorties but prototypical. Just re-decal them for your local road. And, if we appease the passenger gods correctly, we may even get baggage cars for WoT at some time in the future. (I have no direct knowledge that this is the case, I'm just guessing).

"Sacramento" Bruce Conklin

If guns cause crime then pencils cause misspelled words!

Old Goat

Posted - 2008 June 05 :  2:55:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by basementdweller

A gutted 70 ton loco being used to transport trucks, possibly its own?

Matt

Edited by - Old Goat on 2008 June 05 3:01:09 PM

randgust

Posted - 2008 June 05 :  6:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
If you see this month's MR, I think that pocket passenger train for SP is doable with the WOT Harrimans and my 7o-tonner. I'm still not sure about the decals though. I'd struggled with that one and basically chickened out with the bloody-nose scheme for switchers on my demo unit.

At least on the SP in Arizona you don't need a steam generator!

Edited by - randgust on 2008 June 05 6:03:12 PM

brokemoto

Posted - 2008 June 05 :  8:39:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by randgust

At least on the SP in Arizona you don't need a steam generator!

Yes, I guess that the train did not operate at night. I am also guessing that those Harrimans did not have A/C. Some of the Air Conditioning systems did use steam. I am aware of some sort of A/C that operates on steam evaporating as well as some other sort of system that uses steam for power (turbines, maybe? similar to what operates the electric generator on the locomotives?)

I seem to recall that the doors on SP's bi-Levels also worked on steam, and not compressed air (wierd, to be sure).

Old Goat

Posted - 2008 June 05 :  10:14:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by up1950s

Looks like a short cab switcher in the center , maybe from a subway line .

The center unit in the Diesel Era cover is GE U6B, #60. An internet search will provide the details for that type of loco.

Matt

basementdweller

Posted - 2008 June 06 :  07:14:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Matt.

It's all scenery.

Previous Topic: Question for Paul or Cory Topic Next Topic: TCS is having a blowout sale...  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000