Atlas Model Railroad Co. - prototypical distance between cars
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 52 ]  [ Total: 52 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 O Scale Model Railroad Forum
 prototypical distance between cars
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Looking for a SD40 non Dynamic hatch or its number Topic Next Topic: Is this prototype?  

trickcooley

Posted - 2007 December 27 :  8:18:08 PM  Show Profile

I am mounting some San juan couplers to a few of the new 2 rail Railboxcars and was wondering what a typical distance between 2 cars with normal draftgear, no cushion underframes or the like is. I am thinking 3 feet or so but I'd like an accurate distance. Thanks in advance!

Sroten

Posted - 2007 December 28 :  01:14:19 AM  Show Profile
Pat:
This answer will not satisfy you. It varies because even non cusioned underframes have a bit of give in the draft gear due to springing and slack and shank length. Most engineering drawings in the cyclopedias (I have 4 of them) show buffer to buffer distance on a car, not car end to car end distance between 2 cars.

Ted43

Posted - 2007 December 28 :  05:56:56 AM  Show Profile
What is the usual buffer-to-buffer distance?

Ted

trickcooley

Posted - 2007 December 28 :  09:04:39 AM  Show Profile
any measurement would help me. I guess I am looking for a minimum distance.

Thanks!

Sroten

Posted - 2007 December 28 :  09:11:38 AM  Show Profile
Ted, you misunderstood me, (or I was my usual less than clear self), I meant buffer to buffer on a single car, not between car one and two. However, looking at the drawing of an AAR standard E coupler, there is a 5 1/4" shank + 12" head to inside pulling face of knuckle distance, or about 17 1/4" for 32.5" buffer to buffer distance. Simmons-Boardman The Car and Locomotive Cyclopedia 1980 P.475.

Rule292

Posted - 2007 December 28 :  4:12:10 PM  Show Profile
Patrick what I'd go by is about 3 inches between the endmost face of the draft gear box and the back of the coupler head.

I think that's what determines the distance and that's what most of the draft gear advertised in car builder's cyc's use.

BTW, most couplers are mounted to cushioned draft gear even way back in the steam era. The kicker is that not all of the designs have hydraulic cushioning gear that extends the couplers far out from the carbody...

Rob M.
ARHS # 3846
EPTC
PRRT&HS # 8141

"Life Is Like A Mountain Railway, With An Engineer That's Brave..."

tom thorpe

Posted - 2007 December 28 :  9:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit tom thorpe's Homepage
You mention minimum distance......anyone see the utube video of the English breakman (correct spelling this one time) pinched between two passenger cars being coupled?

tt

Tom Thorpe
www.curvedbenchwork.net

trickcooley

Posted - 2007 December 29 :  10:02:39 AM  Show Profile
no but I am looking it up right now....

Thanks Guys!

Alan Spencer

Posted - 2008 January 03 :  2:16:01 PM  Show Profile
Tom, I couldn't find it...got a link?

tom thorpe

Posted - 2008 January 03 :  9:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit tom thorpe's Homepage
Sorry, No links. Just remember it was a English style coach and the conductor was on the roadbed reaching in close to the coupler of a parked coach as another coach was being pushed back to the stationary coach. Just as he was fully in the crush zone the two cars came fully together. Can not imagine survival.

It was last week so I would think it is still out there.

Was just cruising through "Train crashes" or "Train accidents" buncha neat stuff.

Those kind of sites drift from train crashes to auto crashes to plane crashes to gisha girls and beyond. Gotta watch where you go or you lose the thread.

Came across some auto accidents that actually show people being thrown out of their vehicle as it is rolling over on them.

WOW! That really convicted me on my lack of seat belt usage. I put that thing on every time I get into the car now.

Some very interesting train incidents cought on camera.

tt

Tom Thorpe
www.curvedbenchwork.net

Alan Spencer

Posted - 2008 January 04 :  10:09:43 AM  Show Profile
Tom, thanks, I'll look again and see if I can find it.

Previous Topic: Looking for a SD40 non Dynamic hatch or its number Topic Next Topic: Is this prototype?  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000