Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Gulf Summit Lines...Susquehanna Valley Ry.
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 37 ]  [ Total: 37 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 DCC Forums
 DCC Forum
 Gulf Summit Lines...Susquehanna Valley Ry.
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Sound Decoder Problem - or Not Topic Next Topic: turnouts  

drewthomas

Posted - 2007 October 22 :  11:29:17 AM  Show Profile
Hello,
I am doing my version of the Gulf Summit Lines...Susquehanna Valley Ry. and will be wiring for DCC using the zephyr system. Has anybody done this layout for DCC? I would like to get some feedback on how it went and if you have any pictures.

Thanks
Drew Thomas

basementdweller

Posted - 2007 October 22 :  10:06:21 PM  Show Profile
Can't assist you with your issue but welcome to the forum anyway. You may want to try posting you thread in the appropriate scale forum and see what responses you get, the DCC forum tends to be a little slower. Try changing the title to "need help with trackplan for ......"
Wiring any track plan for DCC vs DC shouldn't be difficult, infact the DCC crowd will tell you it will be easier, any reversing loops are easily solved.
Martin

It's all scenery.

ELNScale

Posted - 2007 October 24 :  10:42:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit ELNScale's Homepage
Drew,

I built this layout with DC originally, though I wired it differently from the book plans (not that matters much when it comes to DCC conversion).

The book wiring for DC allows for 2 throttles on the lower level, two on the top and a choice on the grades. All with common rail wiring.

The simple DCC conversion for you would be as follows:

• Remove all of your 4 throttle/power connections from the layout
  • Set all of the lower level block selectors to one throttle (say A).
  • Set the interchange blocks to that same throttle
  • Set all of the upper level block selectors to one throttle (say C)
  • Connect your Zephyr track power (aka bus) to the same place that the A-throttle's power was connected noting which were the + and - in the DC connection
  • Connect the Zephyr track power also to the place that the C-throttle's power was connected. You must match the Zephyr's track bus) to the same +/- for the C-throttle as for the A-throttle

For the reversing track on the upper level, you can still use the reversing controller manually as you did in DC or you can wire in an automatic reversing module (eg Digitrax AR-1).

Now you have a single power district, one block DCC layout - all of the DC blocks are powered through the block switches and the common rail wiring.

Or you can design your own wiring system that uses the orthodox DCC bus, power districts, detection blocks etc, rather than common rail wiring. I am in the process of doing a larger layout which will have this bus architecture, but for the SVGS which was already DC common rail, this approach allowed for a DCC conversion in about 10 minutes.

HTH

Steve
Michigan

www.scrantonstation.com

Previous Topic: Sound Decoder Problem - or Not Topic Next Topic: turnouts  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000