Atlas Model Railroad Co. - what roundhouse angle do I need for....
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 27 ]  [ Total: 27 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 O Scale Model Railroad Forum
 what roundhouse angle do I need for....
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New Structure for the Middle Division Topic Next Topic: DCC and Vertical Can Motors  

BAR-O-Scale

Posted - 2007 September 16 :  12:07:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. I am using the 24 inch AtlasO turntable as a guide, and I am trying to figure out the roundhouse stall angles.

Here is my dillema. The AtlasO roundhouse seems to be too close to the turntable to look like my prototype, so buying it would do me no good. On my prototype you can fit one and one half GP9 diesels coupled together between the pit edge and the stall doorway. I need about a foot and a half of track between the edge of the turntable and the stall doorway.

Using the 24 inch TT, what stall angle do I need to be able to push the turntable further away from the Roundhouse? 10 or 7.5 degree maybe?

Vince

OWMac

Posted - 2007 September 16 :  6:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Hope this helps , its the track configurations for various numbers of tracks and angles. The dimension you want is "A". If I'm reading the second sheet correctly that is the distance from the center of the turntable pit to the doors of the roundhouse. I hope this helps. The smaller the turntable the larger the distance between the edge of the TT pit and the RH doors

MAC

BAR-O-Scale

Posted - 2007 September 16 :  7:40:13 PM  Show Profile
That was helpful, thank you. Was this an old ad or something current?

Looks like if I want the distance to be about right I need 10 degree stall spacing. I drew out a full size plan and it seems to be about right. I thought there may be an O scale roundhouse kit out there with 10 degree stalls. I apppreciate the help!

Vince

OWMac

Posted - 2007 September 16 :  8:10:29 PM  Show Profile
There used to be a company out of Indiana called the Monon Shops that made a Roundhouse kit and other structures. My Uncle built the roundhouse and added Grandt Line windows. His Indiana Eastern Railroad was featured in O Scale News two or three issues ago. I built several of their kits 25 years ago. They were excellent kits for the time. I don't know if Monon Shops is still around or not. If they are I suspect I'll see them in Indy on Friday.
This spacing was prototype for the B&O and other railroads. It's the best chart I've seen on roundhouse track spacing and dimensions

MAC

BAR-O-Scale

Posted - 2007 September 16 :  10:29:28 PM  Show Profile
if you see them at york let me know

Previous Topic: New Structure for the Middle Division Topic Next Topic: DCC and Vertical Can Motors  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000