Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Cornerstone Merchants Row
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Cornerstone Merchants Row
Previous Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: modeling stone walls in foam Topic Next Topic: Can anyone ID this accident
Page: of 2

Walkercolt

Posted - 2007 January 17 :  12:19:46 AM  Show Profile
After all these years, the dies are probably worn. The cost of re-tooling them is probably prohibitive, so the kit goes "extinct". There is also the possiblility of market saturation; the demand for the Merchants Row (I) may have declined to where it's not profitable to make more. Most likely, it's a combination of factors...worn dies and market saturation. I'm hoping Woodland Scenics expands their structure line of the former DPM buildings. There are about three times as many HO building as N-scale, and N-scale needs more variety in buildings worse than HO does.

Santa Fe, Frisco and N-TRAK nut

Fotheringill

Posted - 2007 January 17 :  10:02:47 AM  Show Profile
Spookshow

I did the following:

Airbrushed the entire brick and window area with the color desired for the frames and the lintels. They must be the same for the technique to work.

I then used the pencil method described in the current issue of one of the magazines.

Fotheringill
Member of Atlas board and Trainboard.com

Edited by - Fotheringill on 2007 January 17 10:03:37 AM

Roger Perkins

Posted - 2007 January 17 :  10:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Roger Perkins's Homepage

I think this is "Merchant Row I," it is an early N-scale kit composed of 5 pieces: front, back, roof and 2 end walls. I think I built this about 26+/-2 years ago.
I am certain I used Polly S paints applied by brush.

Most of you will recognize the 2 adjacent structures as DPM kits.

The NRA signs are for the period; National Recovery Act.

Roger

Edited by - Roger Perkins on 2007 January 17 10:42:16 AM

sirenwerks

Posted - 2007 January 17 :  12:00:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
There are about three times as many HO building as N-scale, and N-scale needs more variety in buildings worse than HO does.

The statement makes me chuckle because I stopped going to see Ntrak set-ups because I was to the point that if I saw one more town made up of the same unaltered DPM buildings I was going to go postal. It became downright depressing. I think Walkercolt's statement is doubly true because N scale allows more room for more buildings, so we need twice as many buildings to be on par with HO, and then twice as many to fill the additional space allowed by the smaller scale. And selective compression be damned!

Bryan B.
Put the modeling back in model railroading.

Roger Perkins

Posted - 2007 January 17 :  2:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Roger Perkins's Homepage
Though not related to "Merchants Row," I find that generally N-scale allows one to have more space between structures, towns and villages. Thus one can enjoy trains running through the country side versus populated and/or industrial areas.

I do agree that the N-scale modeler has been short changed when it comes to the variety in DPM structure kits and other manufacturer's offering compared to the number available for HO.

This always seems to lead to the same argument; that there are more potential buyers for the HO kits. I suspect someone has also already said there might be more N-scale modelers if most of the choices offered in HO were also offered in N-scale. Is this a dilemma or catch-22????
Roger

Krasny Strela

Posted - 2007 January 17 :  10:03:27 PM  Show Profile
catch-22

Spookshow

Posted - 2007 January 18 :  7:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Spookshow's Homepage
Fotheringill- Very nice looking!

But, doesn't that technique limit you in the colors that you can use for the windows and other trim? IE, only something that's going to look like brick "mortar" when all is said and done? What if I want green trim?

-Mark

Dear Atlas - Please Make More DME/ICE Models!

Edited by - Spookshow on 2007 January 18 7:54:27 PM

Fotheringill

Posted - 2007 January 18 :  10:52:18 PM  Show Profile
Spookshow-

It certainly does limit you. No matter how small the brush or steady the hand, I can not do the DPM kits or this one with the frames and lintels good enough for close up pictures. I did three DPM kits by hand and was not satisfied with the results. I compromised due to my lack of ept with a brush.

Fotheringill
Member of Atlas board and Trainboard.com

Sigalert

Posted - 2007 January 18 :  11:10:18 PM  Show Profile
I would like to see some varied buildings -- most of the DPM and Walthers structures
are fine for representing small town bakeries, shoe stores, etc. but some buildings
large enough for a Woolworth's, Western Auto, grocery store, etc would be nice. I
would especially like to see Walthers do the Greyhound station and Wallschlager Motors
kits in N scale. There was a small company called Boulder Valley Models that made a nice
40's Safeway store a while back, but I understand they have since shifted from N scale to
On3 stuff.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: modeling stone walls in foam Topic Next Topic: Can anyone ID this accident  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000