Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Whitcomb 65-ton centercab project
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 62 ]  [ Total: 62 ]  [ Newest Member: Ccv67b49 ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Whitcomb 65-ton centercab project
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Train wreck- dont do this Topic Next Topic: Model Power 4-4-0
Page: of 16

randgust

Posted - 2006 December 31 :  2:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
I'm going to move this to its own thread as it really doesn't belong with the 44-tonner issues and what's going on with that.

Chris333 got me a Tomix/Tomytec TM03 mechanism when they first came out, but what do you do with it? It's great, with 4-wheel drive, a flywheel, all 12v, a traction tire, everything you want in an inexpensive and well-made chassis. It's too big for a 44-tonner, but significantly smaller than an EMD chassis.

It's neat and all, but right out of the box doesn't fit much of anything.

The problem is the frame height/width, and the motor orientation. It's all plastic, so changes are not impossible.

Digging around in some drawings (and more help from Chris333) led to this discovery - that chassis is almost dead-on for a Whitcomb 65-tonner. Measurements, and even the truck sideframe sets supplied - are really, really close.

Take a look at the 65-ton centercabs on the Northeast Rails website:

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel134.html

I particularly like the 65DE19's, as a typical, yet unusual, industrial unit that has never been done in N. This is the concept:

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_lpc2.jpg

Note there are two distinct cabs here; one slope-sided, the other straight.

OK, on to the frame hacking.

randgust

Posted - 2006 December 31 :  2:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
This is just about the same size as an SW8/9/1500, and I suppose you could even use one of those in a pinch, as long as you don't mind wrecking a $40+ loco and body. But this frame is actually closer, and lots easier to hack.

I started off by chopping off the edges of the frame everyplace but where the cab was going to go, and then expirimenting with cutting the motor bracket to rotate the motor 90-degrees vertical instead of horizontal.

It's not terrifically easy, but it is doable:

The mechanism in the back is a Con-Cor SW1500 (split frame)

From side-on you can see the motor bracket took a lot of cutting, and only the front nubs now hold it down in the frame.

To get a scale-sized floor to fit on the frame, I had to cut the phosphor bronze pickup ears back about 2/3 the normal width. But with that fix, the frame template fit right over the modified frame.

randgust

Posted - 2006 December 31 :  2:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
The most challenging part about the body is the louvers. I'm going to at least try to make this as a resin master, but we'll see how it goes.

This is .020 styrene cut to shape, with the doors etched in, ventilation holes cut, and Gold Medal Models venetian blind material behind the doors to have a least some semblance of those open grid doors:

From the back, you can see there is plenty of room inside for weight over the powered truck. In theory, this should work pretty well. After I got the motor wired up, it ran well, but the bracket is so compromised by cutting it now vibrates. Chris333 suggested silicone sealant, which I agree should work fine.

Now on to laminating up the basic shell here...

Santa Fe Albuquerque Third District in N
Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing,
with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)

jmlaboda

Posted - 2006 December 31 :  4:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit jmlaboda's Homepage
Wasn't there a brass kit mentioned some time ago for a Eurpoean version of this locomotive?

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index 10SEPT2011 HUGE UPDATE!!! 7923 NEW LINKS ADDED!!!
Southern Railway Historical & Modeling Resources FINALLY updated 2 JANUARY 2012!!!
Appreciate Freedom? Thank a Veteran!!!

randgust

Posted - 2006 December 31 :  4:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
Yeah, Spoors said there was a brass import done a while back of the european version - slightly different, but bashable.

I'm planning on making the cab a separate casting... we'll see what reality brings!

Iain

Posted - 2006 December 31 :  8:29:39 PM  Show Profile
I just realized there is no difference between what you're doing and what I want save for the cab and battery boxes
Compare
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_lpc2.jpg
(65 tonner)

with:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_bmh75.jpg
(70 tonner)

It looks to me like the only outside difference between a 65 tonner and a 70-80 tonner is the cab and battery box. Therefore, you may, by doing a whole bunch of cab types OR adding pieces to do the different heights, get a few more kits out of this than you had originally anticipated.

What level of details are you going to add?

We will fight
Or we will fall
'Till the angels save us all

Hollywood Undead, Young

Iain

Posted - 2007 January 01 :  1:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Here is the aproximate location of the sand hatches, the crosses marking the centers:

The sand hatches themselves:

NOTE: NOT TO SCALE

The sand hatch diameter is about four inches.

We will fight
Or we will fall

Hollywood Undead, Young

randgust

Posted - 2007 January 01 :  1:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
One of the reasons I'm doing the cab as a separate casting is that reason exactly. It's hard to make it a one-piece and get it apart to begin with. I'd figured the straight-side cab and the tapered cab, but I don't see any particular reason why that 70-ton high-cab couldn't be done as well.

It looks like the 70-tonner has very vertical sides. The 65-tonners all have tapered sides, although the panels are the same.

Did they cut that up for scrap yet? Is it still hanging around? Did you ever measure the cab dimensions? I've got the body drawings and the body pretty much done.

As far as for detail, yesterday was door hinges. Glad that's over. Just cut the little ventilators under the handrail this morning.

Edited by - randgust on 2007 January 01 1:49:32 PM

TOOTSHORE

Posted - 2007 January 01 :  2:17:56 PM  Show Profile
Way to go - Randy Tootshore

Iain

Posted - 2007 January 01 :  7:44:51 PM  Show Profile
The old ex-Grace Whitcomb is gone. I ran out of time the day I was measuring, and when I went back a week later it was gone.

I am not sure, however, as to the legality of the whole situation, as the Whitcomb was owned by the New Hope Valley RR, an operating museum line. The people that cut it up are the current owners of the old Beaufort and Morehead, a bunch of rude lawyer types from out west somewhere. The locomotive was on state property. That particular company just runs the trains.

We will fight
Or we will fall

Hollywood Undead, Young

fordhamroad

Posted - 2007 January 01 :  8:16:43 PM  Show Profile
-Randgust, Awesome! I have a Tomytech 03 standing by. Originally, I was thinking of chopping up some spare RS-1 sides for doors, but I like your design better. Please put me on the list for one of the slant side 65t shells. I want to do a WWII US Army Transportation Corps locomotive. Happy New Year, and thanks for the ongoing ideas and inspiration.

Roger

lv4142003

Posted - 2007 January 01 :  9:11:14 PM  Show Profile
Randgust, do you think one of those Tomytec chassis would fit under your SW1 casting? lv4142003

randgust

Posted - 2007 January 01 :  10:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
Fordhamroad - hang in there, she's moving now. I have Iain to keep me going!

As far as the SW1.... Overall, its close. But there's nothing in the kit that looks like EMD sideframes. I've had a lot of success with getting the Con-Cor / Kato mechanism in there (see the other mechanism in the shot).. but I'll take another look at the Tomytec again.

Overall Tomytec wheelbase is really close - only a foot short. There's not enough clearance in the sandbox for the front of the powered worm gear housing. If you turn it around so the cab end is the power truck, I 'THINK' the motor will fit under the hood, but man, its close....

The molds got pretty beat-up on the SW1 shell, I sold all the ones I'd made, and I haven't redone the molds, though I've thought about it.

Chris333

Posted - 2007 January 04 :  02:19:13 AM  Show Profile
I finally found this pic from a while back:
http://www.kahndog.com/images/Gallery/11-2006/04-Nov-NHDunbarRR1949.jpg

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3174
http://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333
http://www.youtube.com/user/Schmuck804
http://community.webshots.com/user/chris333333

randgust

Posted - 2007 January 04 :  06:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
With the leaf springs cut out, it still amazes me how dead-on the Tomix-supplied truck sideframe is for Whitcomb. That's a wierd truck, and otherwise it would have to have been scratched and cast.

Santa Fe Albuquerque Third District in N
Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing,
with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)

randgust

Posted - 2007 January 04 :  10:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
OK, hood sides are basically done; doors cut, hinges on, louvers finished, and the whole thing laminated up to .040 with a .005 backing behind the louvers so I can cast the thing. I'm still moving at least. I hope I can say later this was the hardest part, because it really was hard.

There's a lot of smudging on the sides from all the pencil guidelines, this is a master, not a model, so I'm less concerned about that.

I gotta admit that the idea of CNC milling this, or rapid prototyping it, is conceptually like the difference between hand-copying the bible and photocopying it. Sigh.

Page: of 16 Previous Topic: Train wreck- dont do this Topic Next Topic: Model Power 4-4-0  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000