Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Reverse loop wiring for DCC, again!!!! LOL
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Reverse loop wiring for DCC, again!!!! LOL
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: KATO BOBBER CABOOSE Topic Next Topic: Regional focus by manufacturers  

Soo

Posted - 2006 October 31 :  10:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Soo's Homepage
Howdy all, I am back again with a drawing I did right quick.

Ok, the question I have is,,, looking at the attached picture,..... would I need to have three automatic reversers??, or just one??? Cause as you can see there are 3 crossovers.

So in principle,, you have a reverse loop in a reverse loop in a reverse loop...... Man I am confusing my self.LOL

Any help ya'll can give me would be great.

Adios, Wyatt
]

umeume

Posted - 2006 October 31 :  11:35:17 PM  Show Profile
I would say none. Perhaps there is a mistaken idea about what a reverse loop involves. When you go from right to left, at the crossings the left rail never truly contacts the right as they cross. They are seperated in the crossings or turnouts. If they were not it would not work, shorting out whether in DC or DCC. Some turnouts may reguire insulated joints to keep this from happening. For instance handlaid turnouts you might make. The only true reverse section you would have is where the track balloons out, goes around and comes back to the parallel tracks. That would only require a reverse loop if it came back to the same section of track it had come in on. If you insulate at the point where it ballons and then again where it comes back and use an auto reverse unit on this section of track, it will swap the polarity and take all the load off your mind no matter which way you go in or out of the loop. Only trouble might be if you are using metal wheels and the train crosses back into the parallel tracks at the same time a wheel set is still going into the reverse section. The metal wheels crossing the small gap at the start make the reverser want to go one way while the back set of wheels will tell it to go the other way round. Hope this makes sense. It really is an amazingly simple thing to run once you get it working. Since you are using a second set of rails to leave the loop, there is no reverse needed. The turnouts will have to be installed so the left rail never contacts the right but that is standard turnout wiring.

Edited by - umeume on 2006 October 31 11:49:40 PM

Denver Road Doug

Posted - 2006 November 01 :  12:03:29 AM  Show Profile
Wyatt,

First, you do have a reverse loop situation requiring an autoreverser (or manual switch). As long as you create a reversing section (longer than your longest locomotive consist at a minimum) in the track somewhere to the left of the first crossover, and wire the autoreverser according to the instructions, you will be covered.

umeume

Posted - 2006 November 01 :  12:11:54 AM  Show Profile
That was my initial thought also. Perhaps we need to look at this again. Does the left rail ever come back to the right rail? When the points on the turnouts are open they are not in contact. Perhaps I'm missing something? Oh, NO NOO. I have set here and thought some more. Doug is correct. It does come back to itself if you run through the turnouts the one way. That was my first thought and then I talked myself out of it. MY bad. Very BAD.

Edited by - umeume on 2006 November 01 12:12:47 AM

rsn48

Posted - 2006 November 01 :  12:37:10 AM  Show Profile
Soo post this in the DCC forum; you'll get some good feed back there. To me it appears you have only one reversing loop as well. I wired each section of track with its own feeders, this made it easy to "block" areas as a reversing loop or to treat each sectional track as its own layout.

Rick Nicholson

wcfn100

Posted - 2006 November 01 :  02:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Is your drawing of double track main with a loop or some sort of "dog bone" with cross overs? You my need to provide more of the layout drawing.

The easiest way to wire dcc would be to treat the whole loop as the reverse section and wire the turnouts like a double track. Of course this means you will ALWAYS trip the reverser.

Jason

Check out the new forum and website!
www.cgwmodeler.com
www.cgwmodeler.com/forums

basementdweller

Posted - 2006 November 01 :  07:06:25 AM  Show Profile
I don't see the reverse loop. When does the rail need to change polarity?

It's all scenery.

da3151

Posted - 2006 November 01 :  07:41:19 AM  Show Profile
Use a reverser (one) to power the loop that starts just to the left of the crossover.
The parallel mains would be the same polarity (front +/back -) as each other.
If you have a loop on the other side (as someone said, a dogbone) you will need
another reverser for the other loop. Having the two parallel mains the same
polarity means that you can do crossovers at will.

n/a

Posted - 2006 November 01 :  08:19:24 AM  Show Profile
The balloon track is the reverse loop Wyatt .. cut the gaps to the left of the last crossover, and put your reverser on the balloon loop. It don't matter if its DC or DCC, it is what it is.

jlbaz

Posted - 2006 November 01 :  09:30:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by da3151

Use a reverser (one) to power the loop that starts just to the left of the crossover.
The parallel mains would be the same polarity (front +/back -) as each other.
If you have a loop on the other side (as someone said, a dogbone) you will need
another reverser for the other loop. Having the two parallel mains the same
polarity means that you can do crossovers at will.

Yes. This is the answer, it gets rid of all of the thinking about the three different ways you can reverse. Simplifies everything.

Jeff

--but it's a dry heat

umeume

Posted - 2006 November 01 :  11:39:32 AM  Show Profile
Note for Basement Dweller-- I think maybe you and I fell into the same trap when looking at this drawing. If the train enters on top of the parallel and leaves on the bottom there is no reverse loop. However when it comes out on the top there is a reverse loop. Upon further review, I changed my answer. Just like the NFL, huh?

Previous Topic: KATO BOBBER CABOOSE Topic Next Topic: Regional focus by manufacturers  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000