Atlas Model Railroad Co. - SD24 vs SD35
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 SD24 vs SD35
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Used flex and peco switches Topic Next Topic: Looking down on the real world  

steel_tiger1

Posted - 2006 October 14 :  09:59:28 AM  Show Profile
Is the frame length the same on the two atlas models? I want to make my SD24's into SD35's if they are. I was thinking about doing MRL with one of them. Which version of shell do I need to do that one? I will do SP with The others if they are the same frame between the two models.

Thanks
Tom

jrbernier

Posted - 2006 October 14 :  10:14:59 AM  Show Profile
IIRC, the frame should be the same. The fuel tank on a SD24 is different than on a SD35. The SD24 had a large oversize fuel tank that forced that air tanks to the roof. SD35 production used the new 'Spartan' carbody, and the classic EMD second generation fuel tank with the air tanks just above them.

Jim

Modeling the Milwaukee Road in SW Wisconsin - In the 50's!

jrbernier

Posted - 2006 October 14 :  10:24:04 AM  Show Profile
The MRL SD35's came from several sources(ex ACL/SCL and ex N&W). Most photo's show them with 'high' headlights between the number boards. The ex N&W units were chop-nosed to a standard lo-nose configuration.

Jim

Modeling the Milwaukee Road in SW Wisconsin - In the 50's!

steel_tiger1

Posted - 2006 October 14 :  4:36:47 PM  Show Profile
I was just going to go shopping in the Atlas parts store and pick them up. I have 3 SD24's that really don't fit my era anymore and I thought if I could redo them as SD35's it would save me from having to sell them. I can use the SD35's. When were the MRL ones retired? I assume they are gone now? Will the Atlas SD35 shell's fit right on without to much work then?

Tom

Bearcreekwest

Posted - 2006 October 14 :  11:21:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by steel_tiger1

Is the frame length the same on the two atlas models? I want to make my SD24's into SD35's if they are. I . . .

Are you refering to the early release Yellow Box locos or the current release Master Series?

Don

PRRT&HS 7555
OERM 2133
SASME

steel_tiger1

Posted - 2006 October 14 :  11:36:58 PM  Show Profile
Master Series, I don't count the other ones.

IORY_fan

Posted - 2006 October 15 :  12:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit IORY_fan's Homepage
quote:

When were the MRL ones retired? I assume they are gone now?

Tom

Only 1 MRL SD35 is gone that is MRL 704, but MRL 701(Stored Livingston), MRL 702, 703, & 705 are still very much active.

Here are a couple shots of them

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=152693

http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=32751

http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=19158

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=90077

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=308812

"Don't worry, I'm pulling for ya, where all in this together"

steel_tiger1

Posted - 2006 October 16 :  09:17:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the links to the pics exactly what I was looking for. I have been doing some research and the
frames look different on the SD24 than the SD35's from Atlas. I only have the the 24's
I don't have 35's so I can not be sure, can Atlas verify if the 35 shell will fit
on the 24 frames?

Thanks
Tom

IORY_fan

Posted - 2006 October 16 :  10:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit IORY_fan's Homepage
quote:

Thanks for the links to the pics exactly what I was looking for. I have been doing some research and the
frames look different on the SD24 than the SD35's from Atlas. I only have the the 24's
I don't have 35's so I can not be sure, can Atlas verify if the 35 shell will fit
on the 24 frames?

Thanks
Tom

My brother has a Atlas SD26 & it has the same frame as his SD35, I held both side by side & the frames were the same length & both have the same style trucks. Also for atlas it makes sense to have one frame for the SD24, SD26 & SD35/SDP35 that way they don't have 4 differnet frames for 4 different shells, the same goes for Atlas GP38/GP40 frame the shells interchange from one to the other, you can also put a GP38/GP40 shell on an Atlas trainman GP38-2 chassis.

IORY_fan

"Don't worry, I'm pulling for ya, where all in this together"

Gnarly

Posted - 2006 October 16 :  11:33:35 AM  Show Profile
why don'y you buy one of the MRL Sd-35s From Atlas
then you'll have one to look at. Then you can figure
what you need to do. maybe even keep one of the early
SDs for an industry or other use.
Besides, you can never have too many sd-35s! (G)

Gnarly
Modeling western railroading in HO

steel_tiger1

Posted - 2006 October 16 :  10:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Ok cool. Thanks IORY. Gnarly I have taken your advice and ordered some SD35's. Although they are undecs.
But I think I will get some shells for my 24's to make them 35's also.

route rock

Posted - 2006 October 18 :  07:04:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Is the frame length the same on the two atlas models? I want to make my SD24's into SD35's

I hate to tell you this, but trying to make a SD35 out of a SD24 will be all scratch building and detail parts as nothing is the same on either engines. All you are able to use is the Atlas power frame. The trucks, cab, Hood and frame is completely different between the two units .

Bradford Greene "At the Rock Island, we are helping to feed the world, one car at a time"
(modeling the Rock Island in central Iowa & southern MN. in 1977).
http://rits.org

modlerbob

Posted - 2006 October 18 :  08:20:15 AM  Show Profile
Don'd waste your money on the shells, they won't work and even if they did they wouldn't look right as the fuel tanks, lack of air tanks and sideframes are wrong.

Bob DeWoody

steel_tiger1

Posted - 2006 October 18 :  11:01:17 AM  Show Profile
Um I wasn't trying to make an SD35 out of an SD24 as I realize they are way different, but thanks for the heads up on that.
I simply wanted to use the Atlas SHELL on the Atlas frame if it would fit.
From what I can see the sideframes are the same between the two models, unless I am missing something. Fuel tanks are also available
so I don't see a problem unless I am really missing something. I wish someone who has tried this would answer before I spend the
cash on the shells.

Tom

modlerbob

Posted - 2006 October 18 :  1:02:12 PM  Show Profile
Well I have both so I will give them a close look and give a detailed answer to the question. I suggest you get a SD35 1st and compare them yourself to see if just putting a SD35 shell on a SD24 chassis would make it close enough for you.

Bob DeWoody

cpconductor

Posted - 2006 October 18 :  11:40:36 PM  Show Profile
On the old (yellow box) models, they were the same frames, and the shells were interchangeable. On the new models, however, the weights are different, as the cabs sit in a different place on the two models. I'd think you'd be farther ahead to sell the '24's, and just buy new '35's.

Marty

Previous Topic: Used flex and peco switches Topic Next Topic: Looking down on the real world  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000