Atlas Model Railroad Co. - MRC/Aztec PNP Sound (long)
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: Lorenepap ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 MRC/Aztec PNP Sound (long)
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Model Railroaders Tombstones..... Topic Next Topic: Thursday Proto Photo fun
Page: of 4

JEReising

Posted - 2006 June 15 :  08:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit JEReising's Homepage
Sandro, I can't see a good way to reverse the speaker. It sits right under the motor, and you've got a magnetic interference issue as well if you were to reverse it. Plus you'd be taking out even more metal, perhaps to the point where it could very well cause a structural problem.

Ray, bsoplinger: Aztec's track record tells you he will mill a frame for whatever is available, but the frame isn't the issue, it's the decoder itself, which is made to fit only certain Atlas locos. That decoder won't fit anything Kato or Athearn for instance.

Having said that, I think it COULD be made to work in a lot of PNP locos but with a LOT of fiddly work. And at that point you might be better off with a wired unit.

The lack of standardization just kills you when dealing with this sort of thing, just as lack of standardization caused the performance issues I had.

On the other hand, I DO like a challenge :-) Like putting working ditch lights on a loco not designed for them. (Yep, some of us are a bit nuts.)

The whole point is that here is a way to get onboard sound EASILY and NOW.

Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.freehosting.net/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

bsoplinger

Posted - 2006 June 15 :  11:04:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JEReising
Ray, bsoplinger: Aztec's track record tells you he will mill a frame for whatever is available, but the frame isn't the issue, it's the decoder itself, which is made to fit only certain Atlas locos. That decoder won't fit anything Kato or Athearn for instance.

The Atlas 628 uses the same Atlas provided Lenz decoder as the SD-40 which to me mean it would fit the 628 just fine, so I just asked them about milling a 628 frame for one of these babies.

JEReising

Posted - 2006 June 15 :  12:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit JEReising's Homepage
Information is flooding in! This could be VERY interesting!

Here is a list of Atlas locomotives that have possibilities for conversion with the MRC PNP decoder.
First they have to be able to accept the Lenz LEO63FX and second the fuel tank area has to be large enough to accept the speaker.

TRAINMASTER
NEW RS-11
C626
C630
U25B
B23-7
B30-7
B36-7
DASH 8-32BW/BHW
DASH 8-40B/BW
GP-38
New GP-40
GP-40-2
SD-7 (Latest)
SD-9 (Latest)
SD-35

Now I know the GP-40 works for speaker placement, so anything with that much room ought to work as well.

Aztec’s Claudino tells me he will do these but on a same-frame basis only, in other words he’ll mill your specific frame – unless he can buy the raw frames for stock from Atlas. If you have further questions, it’d be best to check his web site for the latest news or give him a call.

Wonder how fast MRC can crank out those decoders?

Jim Reising
And on Trainboard:

wm3798

Posted - 2006 June 16 :  10:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit wm3798's Homepage
Hmmm. I have 7 SD-35's, a U-25 and a couple of GP40's. This could get interesting. I've always railed against putting sound in N scale, but mostly I didn't think it was worth the time/money investment, not to mention the possibility of screwing up a lokie.

But this looks like a no-brainer. Since my layout is more or less on hiatus, maybe I'll send a couple frames off to Aztec and give it a whirl.

I figure if each lashup (typically 2-3 engines) has one with sound, that would be a fairly modest investment, and wouldn't effect the pulling power for my typical 20-car trains.

What could be real dangerous is if they come up with one to fit the Intermountain F units, or if Atlas redesigns the RS-3 frame to accept the same chip...

Of course, for an Alco sound system all you have to do is keep a plastic box full of nickels close by, and shake it when the train passes you...

Lee

Mill Street Studios - Custom N Scale Offerings.

www.wmrywesternlines.net

JEReising

Posted - 2006 June 17 :  10:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit JEReising's Homepage
I needed to get the loco back to Aztec so he can show it at the NMRA. I've had it set up as the lead on my track cleaning train with a couple GP35s in the consist.

To get the train in position, I neded to make pretty much a circuit of the layout. Yeah, I could have used the 0-5-0, but I REALLY don't like to do that. Soon as I switched on the DCC I heard the usual loco type noises I've gotten used to.

Turned on the lights and bell, couple blasts on the horn, ease open the throttle, get rolling, turn off the bell, and here we go. The real hoot (pun intended) was blowing for the grade crossings as we came into Oakville. Eased the train around the lower loop, as I brought the train to a stop you could hear the squeal of the brakes coming on. And all the while the egine noise in the background.

I'm gonna miss that little puppy!

Jim Reising
And on Trainboard:

Edited by - JEReising on 2006 June 17 10:56:00 AM

Aztec Mfg. Co.

Posted - 2006 June 17 :  4:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aztec Mfg. Co.'s Homepage
I have fixtures made to machine the Atlas GP38/40/40-2, Atlas SD7/9/24/26, Atlas SD35 and the Kato SD40/45 locomotives. All of the Atlas locomotives must be the ones with PNP frames and the Kato must be the early Non PNP frame. Will be making a fixture for the Atlas C628/630 PNP locomotives next week. I will be posting more details on my site soon.

John Claudino

----------

Aztec Manufacturing Company
2701 Conestoga Drive, # 113, Carson City, Nevada 89706
(775) 883-3327 voice • (775) 883-3357 fax • http://www.aztectrains.com

Builders of the World's Finest Track Cleaners from Z to G

Edited by - Aztec Mfg. Co. on 2006 June 22 08:50:51 AM

mopacfan2007

Posted - 2006 June 17 :  8:21:41 PM  Show Profile
John,

Two very simple questions: I can't find a part number, can I merely send you a frame and a note to get the sound milling? Or is there a part number or order number I should include? I could not find one for this particular style of milling on your web page.

Second, and this may be obvious when I read the asnwer, but what is a PNP frame?

Very excited about this new product....
~Donovan in Dallas

Robyn Watkins

Posted - 2006 June 17 :  8:54:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mopacfan2007

John,

Second, and this may be obvious when I read the asnwer, but what is a PNP frame?

~Donovan in Dallas

Hi Donovan,

I'm not John, but PNP is short for Plug-and-Play, which is a type of frame that allow you to install a DCC decoder in a loco without having to hardwire it to the locomotive's motor.

Best,
Robyn

Edited by - Robyn Watkins on 2006 June 17 8:55:21 PM

mrcrrtech

Posted - 2006 June 19 :  11:34:05 AM  Show Profile
The MRC diesel sound decoder for "N" scale is in stock and has been shipped to dealers/distributors-part number 0001636.
As far as pulling power is concerned...I have a real heavy grade on my layout, a regular decoder equipped Atlas diesel by itself can only pull 5 cars up the grade, the sound equipped ATlas GP-40 was able to pull 4 cars up the grade.
Since this is a new field of developement, we will see how sales go, and more likely in the future produce different sound decoders in the same type of format, [SD45-2's, EMD 567B's, perhaps an Alco].

Robyn Watkins

Posted - 2006 June 19 :  6:45:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mrcrrtech

The MRC diesel sound decoder for "N" scale is in stock and has been shipped to dealers/distributors-part number 0001636.
Since this is a new field of developement, we will see how sales go, and more likely in the future produce different sound decoders in the same type of format, [SD45-2's, EMD 567B's, perhaps an Alco].

Hi,

Is there a possibility of releasing a plug & play sound decoder for Kato locos in the near future?

BTW-Welcome to the forum.

Best,
Robyn

mrcrrtech

Posted - 2006 June 22 :  12:57:02 PM  Show Profile
If anyone can supply me with a list of kato locos that all use the same circuit board we can most likely develop a sound decoder for them also...There would still be a matter of frame milling for the speaker.
I am working on a day by day basis with Aztec Mfg. on other loco frames to accomodate this decoder. John is an innovative guy and I'm sure he will have a bunch of frames for this decoder in no time.

JEReising

Posted - 2006 June 24 :  7:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit JEReising's Homepage
BAD NEWS for ALCO fans....

From Aztec today:
I find the Atlas C628/630 will not accept the MRC Sound decoder. The width of the fuel tank area measures .430" and the speaker is .510".

Sorry, guys!

Jim Reising
And on Trainboard:

Robbman

Posted - 2006 June 24 :  8:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Robbman's Homepage
Does MRC have anyt plans to offer different sound decoders for different prototypes? I.e, one for EMD, one for GE, etc.

www.krunk.org/ns-nrv

www.mark4design.com

www.blmamodels.com

JEReising

Posted - 2006 June 25 :  09:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit JEReising's Homepage
Robbman, I believe that's what Frank Verrico (Mrcrrtech)was alluding to in his first post.
But MRC has to sell a whole bunch of this first effort to make it worth their while to put out more. And that goes for putting it into different forms as well, I'm sure. This first decoder will fit Atlas product. Kato - maybe later...

Ya know, IIRC there's planty of roon for a speaker in the radiator area of the Kato Dash 9 and their other GE locos...then we could come up with some mesh to cover the speaker...but of course the board needs to come first. That would nicely eliminate the need for frame routing (sorry John!)....and Frank, there are a whole bunch of those out there....

Jim Reising
And on Trainboard:

Robyn Watkins

Posted - 2006 June 25 :  6:13:09 PM  Show Profile
Another question for those in the know:

Is the decoder for the upcoming Atlas DCC ready GP7/9 and GP30/35 the same as the ones used in the GP38/40/40-2? Would the MRC decoder work in the new DCC-ready Geeps?

Thanks,
Robyn

Edited by - Robyn Watkins on 2006 June 25 7:42:19 PM

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Model Railroaders Tombstones..... Topic Next Topic: Thursday Proto Photo fun  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000