Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Alco PA
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 O Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Alco PA
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Quantum Engineer Controller? Topic Next Topic: What is so rare as a day in June?
Page: of 3

GRSJr

Posted - 2006 May 18 :  8:40:43 PM  Show Profile
We have Alco PA locos coming out our ears in N and HO scales. We have expensive brass ones, expensive plastic ones, and modestly prices plastic ones.

So why no PA in O-scale 2-rail? (or have I missed it?)

Weaver did a great job on the FA. Also on the Pullman-Bradley passenger cars, but no PA to pull them.

I'd sure like a PA to pull my Lehigh Valley passenger train.

Ray Stilwell

tom thorpe

Posted - 2006 May 18 :  10:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit tom thorpe's Homepage
Oh yes, bring them on!

One of the most obvious missing pieces in the popular price range.

It is so absent that even undecorated models may sell well.

Tom Thorpe
www.curvedbenchwork.net

gpandwrr

Posted - 2006 May 19 :  12:24:31 PM  Show Profile
I know it doesn't count among two railers, but there is a pretty good supply of scale PAs in the 3 rail market-Lionel, MTH and Williams have all done them.

tom thorpe

Posted - 2006 May 19 :  7:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit tom thorpe's Homepage
It would be interesting to see what dimensions they use for "scale".

Between the pilots, ladders, station announcements and features that so often look like candle wax drippings, I'm not lead to look in that direction.

I would sooner squeeze in an extra job and get brass. Have you ever spent 125 hours on an engine project only to realize what your take home pay from work would be and the finished engine that could buy?

Tom Thorpe
www.curvedbenchwork.net

GRSJr

Posted - 2006 May 19 :  7:53:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gpandwrr

I know it doesn't count among two railers, but there is a pretty good supply of scale PAs in the 3 rail market-Lionel, MTH and Williams have all done them.

You're right. It doesn't count. I'm looking for a reasonably accurate model.

Ray Stilwell

prrhorseshoecurve

Posted - 2006 May 19 :  10:10:38 PM  Show Profile
And what is so inccurate of the Lionel and MTH Models- side from the swinging pilot?

I clerly understand the Willims with those Excessing Porthole Dimeters... And does nyone hve Fix for those excessinve Porthole Diameter Windows on a Willims Model?

Edited by - prrhorseshoecurve on 2006 May 19 10:11:47 PM

tom thorpe

Posted - 2006 May 19 :  11:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit tom thorpe's Homepage
horseshoe,

When a company(s) goes out of their way to make watered down toy choo choos on a very consistant basis don't you think caution would be expected?

What these guys need to come to grips with is that expectations have matured.

Same old same old is just old.

Tom Thorpe
www.curvedbenchwork.net

gpandwrr

Posted - 2006 May 20 :  01:18:52 AM  Show Profile
Quality is going both ways these days folks. Get used to it.

bluelinec4

Posted - 2006 May 20 :  08:31:30 AM  Show Profile
Tom
You obviously have led a sheltered life and havn't seen the latest 3 rail offerings ( Not Williams) If you want to spend time on a project spend it converting the latest Lionel or MTH PA to 2 rail.

tom thorpe

Posted - 2006 May 20 :  09:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit tom thorpe's Homepage
Blue line,

Thank you,

Not so much a sheltered life just a turned off one. I have seen some Lionel reffers which were excellent. Had some diesels which were not.

If there are excellent PA's out there in three rail with Atlas level of scale, paint and detail I would be foolish not to take a look.

Any idea on their year of mfg, roads available and part number?

Thank you for the update! Ya gotta admit, when a company does toy stuff for almost a century w/ disregard to fidelity they do set a precedent which will take time to overcome.

Where my sheltered life comes in is with Atlas products. Never have to be concerned with their models.

Tom Thorpe
www.curvedbenchwork.net

Phil Gatto

Posted - 2006 May 20 :  09:12:46 AM  Show Profile
I gotta agree with Ben here (bluelineC4). I have a Lionel Alco PA "A" unit from the late '90s and a MTH "B" unit from around 2000 nd I like them. No they don't match up to the latest from Atlas but they aren't toys either. They are scale sized with a decent level of detail. As a comparison, they are much better models than the typical FM Trainmasters of years ago. This doesn't inlcude the latest TMs from Lionel.

Unfortunately, the PA was very much done in 3 rail while the TM was overdone. I guess there is a chance Atlas will do a PA but no chance of a FM.

Mine just sit in there boxes due to the fact I started the conversion but didn't like the way it was coming out.

I wish Atlas made Alco 6 wheel power trucks in 2 rail as this would make the conversion much easier.

Happy Railroading Everyone!
2-Rails or No Rails!
Still waiting for 1:48 scale autos. ..

prrhorseshoecurve

Posted - 2006 May 20 :  12:43:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
As a comparison, they are much better models than the typical FM Trainmasters of years ago. This doesn't inlcude the latest TMs from Lionel.

Unfortunately, the PA was very much done in 3 rail while the TM was overdone. I guess there is a chance Atlas will do a PA but no chance of a FM.

Mine just sit in there boxes due to the fact I started the conversion but didn't like the way it was coming out.

I wish Atlas made Alco 6 wheel power trucks in 2 rail as this would make the conversion much easier.

Happy Railroading!

Well Currently for 2 Railers there re only two choices when it comes to converting 3 ril to two rails... K-line TM nd the NEW Lionel O Scale TM's .

The K-line has ALL 6 Wheel Drive Triuck with Blind Center Axle
The Lionel CCII has a 4 Wheel Drive Truck with Blind inner Axle. I don't know how long this will lst since Lionel is switching to a two wheel drive trin for better TMCC performnce.
The Details on the Lionel Scale TM beat the K-line but the K-line is still good Contender. Itmes missing on the K-line model are the Secondary Air tank nd Finer Wire Handrails. Both the K-line nd Lionel Models ofer Mrs/ HEadlight Combo on Short Hood nd Headlight Only on Long hood. Only the TM DEmos had this lighting configuration- HENCe the popularity of the Lionel CCII tm's

Edited by - prrhorseshoecurve on 2006 May 20 12:44:01 PM

GRSJr

Posted - 2006 May 23 :  08:32:12 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Well Currently for 2 Railers there re only two choices when it comes to converting 3 ril to two rails... K-line TM nd the NEW Lionel O Scale TM's .

OK. Please tell me what TM has to do with PA locos. PA is the topic of this thread, not TM.

Ray Stilwell

tom thorpe

Posted - 2006 May 23 :  09:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit tom thorpe's Homepage
In Summary,

Monday I checked out the MTH PA as I was encouraged to do on another forum. Kinda OK maybe for a fun loving 3 railer. The shell had nice basic shape but after that it lost me. Hardly worth the effort to take a piece w/ that level of detail / attention given to it.

Then we slipped an Atlas Erie built out of the box. I almost laughed outloud.

I just do not get it .

Hardly comparable detail at all except they were both diesels.

I am ovbiously not a tinkerer. Working long hours in the shop and over the road, just do not have the time for messing with these type of maybe, could be projects.

Don't have a PA yet but I do now own an Atlas Santa Fe set of A-B-A warbonnet PA wannabees in two rail ready to run & GREAT looking to boot. Plus the best news. Did not have to change a thing.

Tom Thorpe
www.curvedbenchwork.net

Edited by - tom thorpe on 2006 May 23 09:27:43 AM

gpandwrr

Posted - 2006 May 23 :  2:21:53 PM  Show Profile
Tom-You are obviously a discerning model railroader for whom nothing but the best will do, and the best available at the moment is Atlas. Nothing wrong with that, but consider the following: This topic generated comments from a whopping 6 people, and only 2 of them pushed for an Atlas PA.

Ray asked why no O scale 2 rail PA s. Assuming he is talking about 2 rail PA s by Atlas rather than brass, the reason is there is not a sufficient demand for a new PA in the 3 rail market to justify it. Must be those "fun loving 3 railers" like their "watered down toy choo choos" with their swinging "pilots, ladders, station announcements and features that so often look like candle wax drippings", or...Could it be, given that Atlas has managed to sell plenty of other high quality locos to those same 3 railers, that most feel that the models currently available from Lionel and MTH are "reasonably accurate"?

Tom G

Posted - 2006 May 23 :  2:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Let's see. This is rapidly going down the path of three rail modelers know nothing about "scale" and I thought that philosophy was going away. When you insult the "likes of the majority of O people", and remember there are more three railer then two railers, you have to wonder why 2 rail doesn't draw more from three rail? Come on guys. Quit the insults to the three railers.

Tom Grimason
UP Subdivision, Basement Div,

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Quantum Engineer Controller? Topic Next Topic: What is so rare as a day in June?  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000