Atlas Model Railroad Co. - ROCO DCC System
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 36 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 DCC Forums
 DCC Forum
 ROCO DCC System
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Precision Model Crafts Topic Next Topic: Sound for this? (MLW439LRC)  

Switchlock

Posted - 2006 April 22 :  01:37:27 AM  Show Profile
I have a ROCO DCC System, two digit addressing and a Loco Mouse for the hand-held. Is this a viable DCC System or should I scrap it and go to something else?

Clarence Wheeler

Posted - 2006 April 22 :  09:50:43 AM  Show Profile
nope,yup

Spike

pbender

Posted - 2006 April 23 :  02:31:28 AM  Show Profile
The LocoMouse isn't bad system for what it is.

If it works for your current needs, there certainly isn't any reason to scrap it.

If you do decide to upgrade, and you want to keep your existing investment in the LocoMouse, It can be used with any XPressNet based system as a handheld controller. Atlas,Hornby, Lenz, and ZTC Controls are other manufacturers of XPressNet based systems.

The Hornby units are new this year. They are producing two console type units, the Select and the Elite. The last information I saw on these indicated to expect them sometime this summer.

Also, Roco is releasing a new handheld, called the MultiMouse. It is going to be similar in function to the LocoMouse, but with the ability to access more functions, and the ability to control locomoitves with addresses up to 9999.

BTW, I own two of the Locomouse handhelds. I use these along with my Lenz system. I like using them for switching duties, and they aren't bad road throttles either.

Paul

Ship It Frisco!

Edited by - pbender on 2006 April 23 02:46:35 AM

gna

Posted - 2006 April 23 :  10:02:22 PM  Show Profile
I have one, too. I like it--I like the way the LocoMouse is set up and feels in my hand. I've picked up a couple more LocoMice(?), so I have three, and I've used phone jacks and cable to set up remote plug-ins on my layout. I also tried the Lenz XPA with an old cordless phone and that works, too, for a cheap wireless controller. If you are interested in computers you can get a Lenz LI101 and use JMRI DecoderPro to program your decoders. It does have limitations--2 digit addressing, only four function buttons, no DC locos, limited consisting--but for the price I paid I'm happy with it.

Gary

"The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne."

Alan Bradley

Posted - 2006 April 23 :  11:05:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Switchlock

I have a ROCO DCC System, two digit addressing and a Loco Mouse for the hand-held. Is this a viable DCC System or should I scrap it and go to something else?

I have the Lokmaus II system as well. I posted a review about it several months ago. In the interim, I have come to really appreciate its strenghts. Additional hand controllers are difficult to come by, but Lenz or Atlas units will work. The LMII is very easy to use. I have only one sound equipped locomotive and the maus does a good job of activating the relevant noises. Customization works very easily. My Atlas engines crawl along at the first notch. Because number 00 through 99 are all that are available you will not be able to customize some features. So far this has not been a problem for me. Atlas (Lenz), Lenz, MRC and NCE decoders all work without a problem.

I give the LMII two thumbs up. Excellent value for the money, easy to use, easy to understand. Hard to beat that combination.

pbender

Posted - 2006 April 24 :  12:42:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Bradley

Customization works very easily. My Atlas engines crawl along at the first notch. Because number 00 through 99 are all that are available you will not be able to customize some features. So far this has not been a problem for me. Atlas (Lenz), Lenz, MRC and NCE decoders all work without a problem.

Just FYI, the 00 to 99 limitation when programming is actually just a limitation of the LMII's 2 digit display. If you're programming with a Lenz LH90, LH100, or a computer, connected to one of the computer interfaces, then you can program any value into any CV.

(but, you still can't run locomotives with addreses that have more than 2 digits).

Paul

Ship It Frisco!

pumba

Posted - 2006 July 02 :  11:29:39 AM  Show Profile
I just installed the RocoMotion Computer Interface. Still have 2 x LocoMouses working with it.

Was a bummer to get it to work as the helpfiles are next to useless, but once I figured it out it is a pleasure to use.

I did not install any feedback modules yet, that will come within the next month or two.

caellis

Posted - 2006 July 02 :  11:58:39 AM  Show Profile
This is not meant to flame anyone.
But this thread is like so many on these forums where someone responds with a negative and yet probably does not have any experience on the subject(Roco).

Then people with experience jump in and have a 180 degree difference in their opinion of the same subject.

What this really shows is one should take some of the responses in these forums with caution.

Did anyone notice the date on the first post?

Charlie

Edited by - caellis on 2006 July 02 12:00:27 PM

Previous Topic: Precision Model Crafts Topic Next Topic: Sound for this? (MLW439LRC)  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000