Atlas Model Railroad Co. - N scale locomotive maintenance and repair book
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 28 ]  [ Total: 28 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 N scale locomotive maintenance and repair book
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: SD40-2s are here! Topic Next Topic: Styrene Backdrop: Do you have one?  

ceiteach1

Posted - 2006 March 22 :  9:50:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi. Is there a book or manual those on the forum can recommend to help with N scale locomotive maintenance and repairs ?

The only book I have found is by Kalmbach Publishing. "Maintaining and Repairing your Scale Model Trains" by Jim Volhard. This book was published almost 7 years ago. My guess is the primary focus is on HO scale vs N. I'd like to find something more recent and aimed directly on N scale if possible.

Thanks for any comments on this book and recommendations for others on this topic.

Keith.

sam

Posted - 2006 March 22 :  9:55:41 PM  Show Profile
keith,
besides the book you mention,
i'm not aware of any "recent" book on maintence.

sam

Edited by - sam on 2006 March 22 9:56:46 PM

lock4244

Posted - 2006 March 22 :  11:36:21 PM  Show Profile
ceiteach1, do what I do... copy and paste all the threads on this forum about loco maintenance and repair in MS Word. There are some talented folks on the Atlas forum who seem to be able to trouble shoot anything and they offer up this knownledge frequently. Ron (U18B) is one that comes to mind.

Mike LockWood (MLW)

Atlas, Please Release a CN GP40-2L(W) in N! To do one in HO and not N is just mean

My Railroad Photography
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
And some more here
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

Edited by - lock4244 on 2006 March 23 08:29:16 AM

Country: South Sandwich Islands | Posts: 1646 Go to Top of Page

sam

Posted - 2006 March 23 :  07:30:55 AM  Show Profile
btw keith,
how is that book maintaining and repairing your scale model trains in general?

mike,
good idea!

sam

puffer_rat

Posted - 2006 March 23 :  08:55:10 AM  Show Profile
Mike brings up a good point regarding the great information available here but I could use some advice with tips on using search feature on the forum.
I have had poor results trying to locate topics archived.

The main reason for this may be the way threads are headed, like if a person is having a problem with lint getting around the gears on the trucks they may list the topic is "That darn cat". Indicating that the cat hair is wrapping around the loco, but that darn cat doesn't help locate a post on proper removal of the truck & replacement from the split frame so not to damage the plastic parts.

D.C.

Posted - 2006 March 23 :  09:03:34 AM  Show Profile
ceiteach1,

http://ntrak.org/order_form.htm Check this url out. Sorry it is only on steam.

Dave Rutan
Dayton N Track

cripp12

Posted - 2006 March 23 :  11:08:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit cripp12's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by puffer_rat

Mike brings up a good point regarding the great information available here but I could use some advice with tips on using search feature on the forum.
I have had poor results trying to locate topics archived.

The main reason for this may be the way threads are headed, like if a person is having a problem with lint getting around the gears on the trucks they may list the topic is "That darn cat". Indicating that the cat hair is wrapping around the loco, but that darn cat doesn't help locate a post on proper removal of the truck & replacement from the split frame so not to damage the plastic parts.

Puffer_Rat do you search with the "entire message" chosen instead of "subject"?

Thanks

My slow progress
http://www.railimages.com/gallery/claudioippolito

victor miranda

Posted - 2006 March 23 :  11:09:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi ceiteach1,

I strongly recommend the ntrak book.
yes it is about steam...
and the ideas and techniques in it are useful
for any loco repairs

the main difference among the scales of locos
are the way the locos are bolted together
and the power available to run the mech.

Bigger locos can take a little lint that will stop an n-scale loco.

a little practice helps a lot too.

v please make an Atlantic m

ceiteach1

Posted - 2006 March 23 :  1:53:52 PM  Show Profile
Sam, I haven't purchased the book in question. I was hoping someone on the forum owned it and could recommend it. (or advise me to save my money and buy something else !).
I agree with Mike, the knowledge on this site is amazing. I do refer to posts before doing basic coupler converions etc.
I am looking for a general reference book to keep handy for every day maintenance tips, etc.
Thanks also to Dave for the steam reference book. I will look into purchasing a copy. With just under 1 year of experience, I need all the help I can get, to keep things running smoothly !

Jay Gould

Posted - 2006 March 23 :  2:18:43 PM  Show Profile
I hadn't been aware of this book, but being a steam enthusiast, I've already gone by Victor's recommendation and thanks to the 21st Century, with the magic of the Atlas Forum and Paypal, I might even have it by the weekend.

j please make an Atlantic g

http://homepage.mac.com/centercentaur/.Public/Berkshire.jpg

mmagliaro

Posted - 2006 March 23 :  4:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit mmagliaro's Homepage
quote:

Puffer_Rat do you search with the "entire message" chosen instead of "subject"?

Does this work for you? If I do this, the search always bombs out with an SQL error and says the "timeout expired".

-- Max

N Scale steam for the masses

John Weisinger

Posted - 2006 March 23 :  9:14:23 PM  Show Profile
I have had the book since it first came out and find it helpful on a general level as it seems to gear itself toward HO with small mentionings of N in places. It doesn't cover every engine, most of the pictures are of HO engines. But I understand your wish to have a book with complete repairs for each scale instead of combining all the scales. that would be great the book is worth buying and is good at understanding how to inspect, maintain, fin-tune, upgrade,and repairing of steam, diesels, rolling stock, and layout repair. John W.

Previous Topic: SD40-2s are here! Topic Next Topic: Styrene Backdrop: Do you have one?  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000