Atlas Model Railroad Co. - 22"radius curves
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 26 ]  [ Total: 26 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 22"radius curves
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Faded signs on brick walls technique Topic Next Topic: Tower 55 UPs ES44AC Red sills
Page: of 2

beanpole

Posted - 2006 February 14 :  01:26:48 AM  Show Profile
How Many tracks make a half circle and how many for a full circle. Will they work good for a 85' passenger cars.

CNW

Posted - 2006 February 14 :  03:05:37 AM  Show Profile
If you are talking about Atlas track 6 for a half circle and 12 for a full circle. What kind of 85' passenger cars do you have? Some MIGHT make it around them but they won't look very realistic. Most, if not all brass cars would not make it around 22" curves. I think Walthers cars even recommend a 24" radius minimum.

Rockford and Indiana Railroad - THE Chicago connection!

basementdweller

Posted - 2006 February 14 :  07:43:30 AM  Show Profile
If the cars have 4 wheel trucks and the couplers are truck mounted then they will proberly work fine. I wouldn't expect cars with body mounted couplers to work.

It's all scenery.

Paul Graf

Posted - 2006 February 14 :  08:21:25 AM  Show Profile
15" and 18" radius sections use 12 pieces for a complete circle. 22" radius uses 16 pieces.

Paul Graf
Atlas Model Railroad Company

Bowers

Posted - 2006 February 14 :  09:10:49 AM  Show Profile
A related question of mine is, might we see any more radius curves from Atlas other than 22 and 24 inch? N scale Atlas track has many more choices and also has flex track. I would be very interested in larger radius curve ready made track such as 30 inch.

wjstix

Posted - 2006 February 14 :  11:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit wjstix's Homepage
Depends on what kind of passenger car you have and (most importantly) how the couplers are mounted. Generally cars with body mounted couplers will need about 30" radius or so to work well, especially if you want scale operating diaphragms. If you use truck mounted "talgo" couplers, you can run passenger cars on 22" radius curves. I have a section of my layout (the ore dock line) that uses 22" radius curves (and No.4 turnouts), I can run full length Athearn (RPO/Baggage cars), IHC and Rivarossi 80'passenger cars with talgo six-wheel trucks quite easily on that line. However my Walthers 80' cars with truck mounted couplers don't like 22" R curves and no.4 turnouts, but they do fine on my 28" R / No. 6 turnout mainline.

Stix

BNSF / CP to you...CB&Q / Milwaukee Road to me !!

wnanney

Posted - 2006 February 14 :  12:08:16 PM  Show Profile
I highly recommend you go with bigger radii if possible for 85' cars. The Walther's 85' cars will not work on 22" radii curves.

I rebuilt my layout because of that. As my collection of trains grew and the larger cars started appearing on my old layout which did have some 22" radii curves, NO GO!

Most sectional track comes in 22.5 degree curved (arc) per piece. Thus to get 90 degrees out of those pieces, it will require 4 pieces of track or 8 pieces for 180 degrees so on and so on.

Simply divide the arc you want to make my the degree of arc of that piece of track:

90 degree arc = 90/22.5 = 4 pieces
180 degree arc = 180/22.5 = 8 pieces

Full circle = 360 degrees = 360/22.5 = 16 pieces

18" and 15" Atlas sectional curved track are made on a 30 degree arc per piece thus the reason they require fewer pieces to make a complete circle.

360 degrees = 360/30 = 12 pieces

Sorry - You ask what time it was and I told you how to make a clock. However this has been usful info for me in the past for sectional track.

Bill
Arizona

Edited by - wnanney on 2006 February 14 12:23:13 PM

jrbernier

Posted - 2006 February 14 :  1:52:34 PM  Show Profile
The Walthers passenger cars really require a 24" radius corve. I have a 22" radius curve on my 'house track' and I cannot back the new HW Pullman cars into the house track. IIRC, there is a small paper reminder in the box stating that they need 24" radius....

Jim Bernier

Modeling the Milwaukee Road in SW Wisconsin - In the 50's!

Gnarly

Posted - 2006 February 14 :  3:50:06 PM  Show Profile
And don't forget the Athearn articulated auto-rack requires
a well laid 26" radius. So even modern freight cars beg for
larger radius.

Gnarly
Modeling western railroading in HO

river_eagle

Posted - 2006 February 14 :  4:37:45 PM  Show Profile
if you "soften" or remove the springs on the diaphrams on the Walthers cars they will go through 22"
curves, but they do not look great doing it. only have to do one diaphram per connection between cars, and mine stay together as one unit, so just make sure to couple them in the right order.

Don Gibson

Posted - 2006 February 14 :  4:52:48 PM  Show Profile
REALITY CHECK: 'toy-like' cars for 'toy-like' curves.

60' CARS 'fit' a 22" radius. 'Fit' also means "performs".

PROTOTYPE uses 70"+ min. radius. NMRA recomends 44" min. radius for 85' model passenger cars. ('N' gauge works out to 22"r. equivalent).

Anything ELSE is a considerable compromise.

Most common HO compromise is 72' passenger cars with TALGO (truck mounted) couplers for 22" radius 4X8's.

RAILROADS buy equipment to fit their curves. They start with their right-of-way.

Don Gibson
                                      ______
                       I I__()____||__| |||||
                          ((((|__|----------|  |  ||||||||||
                     //---O O O O--OO oo oo
                     #######################     

beanpole

Posted - 2006 February 14 :  11:57:05 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wjstix

Depends on what kind of passenger car you have and (most importantly) how the couplers are mounted. Generally cars with body mounted couplers will need about 30" radius or so to work well, especially if you want scale operating diaphragms. If you use truck mounted "talgo" couplers, you can run passenger cars on 22" radius curves. I have a section of my layout (the ore dock line) that uses 22" radius curves (and No.4 turnouts), I can run full length Athearn (RPO/Baggage cars), IHC and Rivarossi 80'passenger cars with talgo six-wheel trucks quite easily on that line. However my Walthers 80' cars with truck mounted couplers don't like 22" R curves and no.4 turnouts, but they do fine on my 28" R / No. 6 turnout mainline.

beanpole

Posted - 2006 February 15 :  12:06:38 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wjstix

My passenger cars are Walters Amtrak Superliner 1. Amtrak Phase 3. Right now i'm using Bachmann 18"radius curves EZ Tracks. II that helps everyone. Bachmann's 22" Curves EZ Track cost. $12.95. Should I switch over to Atlas track.
Sinxcerly Gary

CNW

Posted - 2006 February 15 :  03:54:26 AM  Show Profile
If you like EZ Track stick with it. Keep in mind that most of us, about 99%, can't have 40" radius curves and have a decent layout. My curves are 30" minimum and I'm more than happy with the appearance of my 85 and 89' cars on the curves. I have had to live with 22" curves too for some time in my life and I was ok with the sharp curves. At least I had a layout!

According to Lynn Westcott and others here are some guidelines:

18" - Sharp curves
24" - Average
30" - Broad

Anything else is going to be in the in-between category. In other words, anything over 30" is considered broad curves. Anything under 24" is considered sharp. Most stuff made today, brass excluded, will run on 24" curves. You'll find that most modelers have curves this size that run mostly freight trains. Those of us that run passenger trains, you'll find 30" the minimum in most cases. The reason is if you have any brass cars at all most won't run on anything less than 30"!

Rockford and Indiana Railroad - THE Chicago connection!

riogrande

Posted - 2006 February 15 :  1:19:00 PM  Show Profile
Yep, what CNW says - John Armstrong has a chapter on track laying standards in Track Planning for Realistic Operation (the Bible of model RRing).

18" - Sharp
24" - Conventional
30" - Broad

This according to his book that I haven't opened in a couple years (from memory).

22-inch curve are just a bit too sharp and all the old sectional track curves are really dinosaur's of the past, meant for 4x8 layouts. Modern rolling stock really requires people to break free of the old "straight jacket" of 18 and 22 inch curves. Get flex track and up your radii a few inches... I suggest to anyone that 24-inches is your absolute minimum for modern times.

Rio Grande - The Action Road
Atlas forum member since 1994

Edited by - riogrande on 2006 February 15 1:19:34 PM

wjstix

Posted - 2006 February 15 :  2:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit wjstix's Homepage
This is getting a little off topic, but since you asked, I've tried both Atlas and Bachmann track with roadbed and liked both. I've pretty much decided that my next layout will use some version of the track-with-roadbed combination. The Atlas version is nice since it's code 83 as opposed to Bachmann's code 100, however it is very very limited as far as what is available. I'm leaning toward using Kato with code 83, but that still doesn't have anywhere near the amount of choices that Bachmann has. So...I'd say if you're happy with Bachmann track, keep using it !!

BTW remember not all passenger cars are/were 80-85' length. RPO's and Baggage cars were usually 60'-70', coaches were often 70' or so. Walthers/Rivarossi 60' RPO, Baggage, Coach and Combine are all based on real 60' Chicago & NorthWestern cars - none are 'shorties'. Athearn's RPO Baggage and Coach are also full-size models of ATSF cars that were less than 80' long, as are several Rivarossi/IHC RPO, Baggage, Combine, and Coach cars.

Stix

BNSF / CP to you...CB&Q / Milwaukee Road to me !!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Faded signs on brick walls technique Topic Next Topic: Tower 55 UPs ES44AC Red sills  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000