Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Model Die casting - Roundhouse products ???
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 43 ]  [ Total: 43 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Model Die casting - Roundhouse products ???
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LEDs and Signal Systems - A Colourful Question Topic Next Topic: Etched detail parts
Page: of 2

monttrak6

Posted - 2006 January 19 :  01:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Whatever happened to Horizon Hobbies take over of MDC/roundhouse?
I haven't been able to track down any new informtion... much less their Nscale catalog.
Is there one?
Even the Horizon Hobby site seemed confused.
I keep banging my head - not having picked up cars from them direct before the TAKE OVER.
just add it to my pile of defeats...
thanks in advance.

GN Buff

Posted - 2006 January 19 :  01:07:23 AM  Show Profile
Athearn is selling the MDC 2-8-0 steam loco now.

brokemoto

Posted - 2006 January 19 :  06:56:57 AM  Show Profile
You do not state if it is the modern, first/second generation diesel era, transition or the nineteenth century equipment that interests you.

Much of all of the above is still out there as NOS or appears NIB and used on TASTWDNMH.

TrainWorld had undecorated MDC nineteenth century 2-8-0s and nineteenth century 2-6-0s in various roads for very good prices. They also had some rolling stock. You would have to check their website, as I have not gone there , lately.

As the other poster pointed out, Athearn is selling the 2-8-0 and some nineteenth century passenger and freight cars, althugh some of those do have twentieth century paint schemes. Go to Athearn's website, instead of Horizon's.

Thank you for your consideration and support.

sam

Posted - 2006 January 19 :  07:01:49 AM  Show Profile
monttrak6,
check the athearn site for items that were previously offered by mdc...
http://www.athearn.com/

sam

geocan

Posted - 2006 January 19 :  09:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit geocan's Homepage
Athearn not Horizon bought MDC. As a seperate entity MDC no longer exists. Athearn is now upgrading the tooling and re-releasing the prior MDC tooling. At least 4 bodies have been done so far FMC DD, Berwick, Combo door, Overton, probably more but that's what I can come up with before my first cup of coffee.

Wig-Wag, LLC
www.wig-wag-trains.com
505-298-7177
e-mail: wigwag@swcp.com
PLEASE no PMs

Autumns Ridge

Posted - 2006 January 19 :  10:17:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by geocan

Athearn not Horizon bought MDC. As a seperate entity MDC no longer exists. Athearn is now upgrading the tooling and re-releasing the prior MDC tooling. At least 4 bodies have been done so far FMC DD, Berwick, Combo door, Overton, probably more but that's what I can come up with before my first cup of coffee.

I thought Horizon bought both Athearn and MDC Roundhouse.

Oh, who can keep it straight these days.......

jmlaboda

Posted - 2006 January 19 :  10:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmlaboda's Homepage
"Athearn not Horizon bought MDC."

Athearns was purchased by Horizon, Horizon purchased MDC and made it a part of Athearn.

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index 10SEPT2011 HUGE UPDATE!!! 7923 NEW LINKS ADDED!!!
Southern Railway Historical & Modeling Resources FINALLY updated 2 JANUARY 2012!!!
Appreciate Freedom? Thank a Veteran!!!

Spikre

Posted - 2006 January 19 :  12:44:57 PM  Show Profile

what differance does it make ??
the result-HIGHER PRICES-will be the same !!
but the new tooling items are "PURE"
Athearn !!!
and still no BB line in N !!!
GATOR1,GATOR2,GATOR1
Dr.B.O.von Winkle

Erie,America's 1st Trunk Line !!
Piermont N.Y. to Dunkirk N.Y.,1848 !!!
Waiting For Skip's Train To Pull Into Hillside Station !!

jmlaboda

Posted - 2006 January 19 :  1:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jmlaboda's Homepage
"the result-HIGHER PRICES-will be the same !!"

Oh, I don't know... from what I have been hearing on the forum and elsewhere the Consol. is a lot less than what MDC was asking for it.

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index 10SEPT2011 HUGE UPDATE!!! 7923 NEW LINKS ADDED!!!
Southern Railway Historical & Modeling Resources FINALLY updated 2 JANUARY 2012!!!
Appreciate Freedom? Thank a Veteran!!!

Spikre

Posted - 2006 January 19 :  1:25:44 PM  Show Profile

OK,maybe Athearn is ordering larger runs
of the 2-8-0 now,not sure ??
but in general the overall TREND is for
higher prices !!
am more fimilar with HO,and some MDC RTR cars
that were $19.95 are now $14.95,which is
still higher than the former kit prices .
but Locos in general are now higher !!
GATOR1,GATOR2,GATOR1
Dr.B.O.von Winkle

Erie,America's 1st Trunk Line !!
Piermont N.Y. to Dunkirk N.Y.,1848 !!!
Waiting For Skip's Train To Pull Into Hillside Station !!

Robbman

Posted - 2006 January 19 :  6:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Robbman's Homepage
The tooling for the shells on the older MDC cars has not neen upgraded... the only tooling that has changed has been for the metal underframes...

www.krunk.org/ns-nrv

www.mark4design.com

www.blmamodels.com

brokemoto

Posted - 2006 January 19 :  9:29:27 PM  Show Profile
The only Athearn with which I have much experience is the nineteenth century equipment. The GF has one of those F-59 Pocket Rockets, but I do not run such modern stuff.

The 2-8-0 has a list lower than what MDC had for a similar locomotive. Runnability and pulling power are about the same for both. The Athearn paint schemes, on the whole, are more attractive. Athearn also has MT couplers front and back as opposed to the old MDC choice of either Rapidos or their non-functioning knuckle coupler. Thus, I consider the Athearn a marked improvement.

The nineteenth century car designs that Athearn has issued are R-T-R singles for the freight cars and four packs for the passenger cars with an extra coach available. MDC sold the freight cars in either four-packs R-T-R or singly as shake-of-the-box kits. If MDC ever sold any of its nineteenth century freight cars singly R-T-R, other than the caboose (and that I remember as appearing toward the end of the line for MDC)I never saw them. Perhaps one of the dealers on this forum can enlighten. The point,here, is that it is difficult to make a price comparison to the Athearn and MDC rolling stock, as Athearn's is strictly R-T-R, while the MDC's that I saw were mostly kits and four-packs. Athearn did also upgrade the wheelsets to AccuMates. The paint schemes on some of the Athearn thirty-four foot passenger cars are not as good as the older MDC Overtons. The lettering on the Athearn B&O cars is not as crisp and sharp as it was on the MDC cars. The Athearn paint scheme on the B&Os is the Blue and Grey, while the MDCs are off-white with a vbue stripe where a letterboaard might be.

If you want a decent knuckle coupler on the old MDC shake-of-the-box Overton kits, you must either body mount 1023s or Z scale. I chose the former. It is not difficult.

Thank you for your consideration and support

Edited by - brokemoto on 2006 January 19 9:35:34 PM

Boxies

Posted - 2006 January 20 :  09:08:30 AM  Show Profile
True: the RTR individual MDC rolling stock (36'ers) and cabeese were just starting to hit the market when they were bought. They dried up pretty quick, from Walthers, anyway. I wish, and have asked Athearn on many occasions, that they re-release the 50' Overlands. I can't understand just sitting on that tooling. I have also asked them to release their stuff in undecorated. I wonder if they can handle a re-release at the same time that they are working on that 4-6-6-4 creature they announced?

brokemoto

Posted - 2006 January 20 :  09:21:48 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see the fifty foot cars and the moguls re-emerge. I wonder it Athearn will paint the moguls in a colorful scheme or black (assuming the moguls ever DO re-emerge). I would have preferred to see a mogul over the challenger. I would have preferred to see an eight-wheeler made from the same basic assembly as the 2-8-0/2-6-0 over a challenger, as well.

The MDC nineteenth century steam locomotive is a good, reliable basic assembly.

Thank you for your consideration and support

Autumns Ridge

Posted - 2006 January 20 :  10:32:53 AM  Show Profile
Seems to me that the basic frame on the 2-8-0 & 2-6-0 is real good. I'm just not sure why they haven't cobbled up a 20th century boiler and cab, and a new tender body for it and gotten some more milage from this already existing tooling. A 4-4-0 would be nice, but at that point you're redesigning most of the loco. You'd need a new boiler, new tender, and a new frame. The frame might be the deal killer.

If they did any of these though, I'd buy a few.

Boxies

Posted - 2006 January 20 :  10:33:45 AM  Show Profile
There was another dealer, Discount Trains On Line, that had individual 50' Overland equipment in ATSF only. I managed to get a few coaches and a couple of combines before this source, too, dried up. I had bought a "two pack" of ATSF coaches, and the paint color of the individual ones we a little different to my eye. I wondered if they were seconds, but it did not matter to me at all. The ATSF lettering came of nicely with nail polish remover, and left the paint inderneath intact. So that's how my home road ended up with green passenger equipment. Still, I'd buy a few more and would definitely get undecs if Athearn released them. I agree, the 2-6-0 is a reliable and altogether useful little locomotive. I too regret that a 4-4-0 based on that tooling was not undertaken.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: LEDs and Signal Systems - A Colourful Question Topic Next Topic: Etched detail parts  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000