Atlas Model Railroad Co. - NEW 5-axle C-Liners CPA24-5 NYC, NH, LIRR, etc
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password


Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 33 ]  [ Total: 33 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 NEW 5-axle C-Liners CPA24-5 NYC, NH, LIRR, etc
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Does your proto 1000 RS11 rattle? Topic Next Topic: making & using scale drawings to build structures
Page: of 2

David Telesha

Posted - 2005 December 14 :  2:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Canadian Model Trains is looking for pre-orders for American road name 5-axle C-Liners (B-A1A wheelbase).

Railroads include New Haven, New York Central, and Long Island RR.

http://www.modeltrains.com/WEB%20-%20CMT/Projects/Projects-HO-C-Liners.htm

They need pre-orders to justify the run.

It is great to get this prototype produced! Get your pre-orders in!!

David Telesha

Country: USA | Posts: 621

Jim 6

Posted - 2005 December 14 :  3:06:55 PM  Show Profile
If this 5-axle C-liner is produced by the folks that did the P1K 4-axle C-liner then it should be a winner. I just placed my order for two of them - NYC, of course. I encourage anyone interest in this prototype fo contact CMT, Inc. and let them know.

j6

quote:
Originally posted by David Telesha






Country: | Posts: 1533 Go to Top of Page

petey

Posted - 2005 December 14 :  7:18:47 PM  Show Profile
OK, Jim,
Let's explain what the 5 axle was. Was this not the C liner that was used on passenger runs, as an alternative to the Erie builts?



Country: | Posts: 169 Go to Top of Page

Jim 6

Posted - 2005 December 14 :  10:21:29 PM  Show Profile
I cannot speak for any railroad but the NYC. On the NYC they were primarily passenger power, only serving on freight trains near the end of their careers in the early 1960s. These were not long-lived locomotives.

The Central 5-axle C-liners were painted 2-tone gray with lightning stripes. Unlike their 4-axle brothers they did not get the simplified cigar band paint scheme. They wore their "Stripes" until retirement.

I believe that these 5-axle diesels were the same dimensions as the standard, 4-axle versions, but with the 3-axle rear truck. There may have been some running gear rearrangement to fit the longer truck.

So, this will be a simple product to produce. They will simply use the earlier P1K 4-axle C-liner (since they had it produced for Life-Like anyway) and modify the metal frame and drive linkage to fit the longer 3-axle rear truck. No new body will have to be tooled. This is a no-brainer from my perspective.

j6

quote:
Originally posted by petey

OK, Jim,
Let's explain what the 5 axle was. Was this not the C liner that was used on passenger runs, as an alternative to the Erie builts?




Country: | Posts: 1533 Go to Top of Page

Jim 6

Posted - 2005 December 14 :  10:29:15 PM  Show Profile
Here are three more photos of the NEW YORK CENTRAL CPA-24-5 five-axle C-liners. Note the 2-tone gray paint. It appears in these three photos that there are two EMD exhaust stacks indicating these locomotive were repowered in the mid-to-late 1950s with EMD 567 prime movers just as were many of the NYC 4-axle C-liners.

j6









Edited by - Jim 6 on 2005 December 14 10:32:22 PM

Country: | Posts: 1533 Go to Top of Page

jward

Posted - 2005 December 15 :  02:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit jward's Homepage
it is my understanding that they were all passenger units. the purpose of the a1a truck on the rear was that the steam generator and possibly the water tank for it were in the rear of the unit, and that all that weight was too much for a 4 axle truck.....

btw, are these sound equipped? more to the point, are there even good recordings of these beasties out there? i have often wondered what they sounded like........


Jeffery S Ward Sr
The unofficial EMD homepage.
http://www.trainweb.org/emdloco

Country: USA | Posts: 1111 Go to Top of Page

New Haven Neil

Posted - 2005 December 15 :  04:08:14 AM  Show Profile

New Haven and NYC - I'm in heaven - there goes my train budget!

Neil.

edit - I ordered! Three!


Modeling the NH and NYC from a long distance in the Isle of Man - ignore the indian territories thing!! An independant island in the Irish Sea.


Edited by - New Haven Neil on 2005 December 15 11:37:05 AM

Country: British Indian Ocean Territories | Posts: 290 Go to Top of Page

David Telesha

Posted - 2005 December 15 :  12:10:59 PM  Show Profile
New Haven F-M Builders Photo

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=206446

The 10 NH units were passenger units of course. But by 1956 they began to be bumped by the 1956 road switchers and could find themselves on freights - these didn't last long on the NH either.

The interesting thing about the NH is the variety - these CPA24-5's could and were MUed with PA-1's and DL-109's - on both passenger and later freight, in a variety of paint schemes - there is a pic of a McGinnis CPA24 MUed with a Green/Gold PA-1 on a Shoreline freight in a NH book!



Country: USA | Posts: 621 Go to Top of Page

Jim 6

Posted - 2005 December 15 :  1:00:19 PM  Show Profile
The NYC CPA-24-5 locomotives were repowered with EMD 567 prime movers after but a few years, so if you model the late 1950s or early 1960s the NYC model should sound like an EMD F-unit or Geep. Before re-powering, your guess is as good as mine. And, the NYC units saw freight service near the end of their short lives.

j6

quote:
Originally posted by jward

it is my understanding that they were all passenger units. the purpose of the a1a truck on the rear was that the steam generator and possibly the water tank for it were in the rear of the unit, and that all that weight was too much for a 4 axle truck.....

btw, are these sound equipped? more to the point, are there even good recordings of these beasties out there? i have often wondered what they sounded like........




Country: | Posts: 1533 Go to Top of Page

umtrr-author

Posted - 2005 December 15 :  2:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit umtrr-author's Homepage
If they were only a little smaller (like 1:160 size) I'd get them just to recall the Atlas/Rivarossi version of the same in N Scale from more than 30 years ago.

Of course, Rivarossi did these for AHM in HO as well, same 30 plus years ago. Amazingly, the New York Central one (not exactly correct paint, mind you) still runs for my dad. I think he bought his copy at Woolworth's for something under $10.

Very nice to see an updated version being planned. You lucky HOers (again).



UMTRR, A1G, W&NY and more...
http://www.irwinsjournal.com

Country: | Posts: 2164 Go to Top of Page

SOU2645

Posted - 2005 December 15 :  6:07:47 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Jim 6

The NYC CPA-24-5 locomotives were repowered with EMD 567 prime movers after but a few years, so if you model the late 1950s or early 1960s the NYC model should sound like an EMD F-unit or Geep. Before re-powering, your guess is as good as mine.

The CPA24-5 sounds exactly like a Trainmaster (H24-66) as it had the exact same prime mover/horsepower. There are numerous recordings of SP H24's that could be used to duplicate the sound. The CPA16-5 sounded like the H16-66 as it was mechanically identical. TVAX might allow someone to record their H16-66 which is operable but stored presently. There likely isn't much difference in the FM sound overall.
From the recordings I have of SP trainmasters they sound like airplanes at speed.
Larry



Country: USA | Posts: 423 Go to Top of Page

jward

Posted - 2005 December 15 :  10:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jward's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by SOU2645

[quote]Originally posted by Jim 6

The NYC CPA-24-5 locomotives were repowered with EMD 567 prime movers after but a few years, so if you model the late 1950s or early 1960s the NYC model should sound like an EMD F-unit or Geep. Before re-powering, your guess is as good as mine.

The CPA24-5 sounds exactly like a Trainmaster (H24-66) as it had the exact same prime mover/horsepower. There are numerous recordings of SP H24's that could be used to duplicate the sound. The CPA16-5 sounded like the H16-66 as it was mechanically identical. TVAX might allow someone to record their H16-66 which is operable but stored presently. There likely isn't much difference in the FM sound overall.
From the recordings I have of SP trainmasters they sound like airplanes at speed.
Larry



don't discount the difference in sounds the number of cylinders makes. especially with a 2 stroke design like fm or emd. an sw9 with a 12 cylinder engine sounds a whole lot different than a gp9 with 1a 16....and lest we all forget, the sd45 series with their 20 cylinder engines had a deep rumble unlike any other emd except the sd80mac (which also had 20 cylinders)......

are those trainmaster recordings commercially available?


Jeffery S Ward Sr
The unofficial EMD homepage.
http://www.trainweb.org/emdloco

Country: USA | Posts: 1111 Go to Top of Page

ssloansjca

Posted - 2005 December 16 :  02:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit ssloansjca's Homepage
If you can find an old copy of "Mister D's machine" it has some great recordings.


Country: USA | Posts: 186 Go to Top of Page

TREBOR

Posted - 2005 December 16 :  09:13:20 AM  Show Profile
Anybody know for sure that the gear ratios are the same on older 4 and 6 wheel trucks?

About a year ago, somebody did an article on just this conversion, can't remember, but might have been in RMC.


DIAPHONE 32'

Country: USA | Posts: 2332 Go to Top of Page

Jim Fellows

Posted - 2005 December 16 :  3:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jim Fellows's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by TREBOR

Anybody know for sure that the gear ratios are the same on older 4 and 6 wheel trucks?

About a year ago, somebody did an article on just this conversion, can't remember, but might have been in RMC.



Rob Gross was the author of the RMC artical about 3 years ago. He ended up not powering the front truck. I am sure LL of Canada will fix that. I am looking forward to these units.

Jim Fellows


Jim Fellows

Check out my New England stuff at: http://www.freewebs.com/nynhh/index.htm

Country: | Posts: 28 Go to Top of Page

Jim 6

Posted - 2005 December 16 :  4:21:05 PM  Show Profile
My understanding is that yes, the gear ratio will match the 4-axle C-liner since they will be using the same B-truck for the front.

j6

quote:
Originally posted by TREBOR

Anybody know for sure that the gear ratios are the same on older 4 and 6 wheel trucks?

About a year ago, somebody did an article on just this conversion, can't remember, but might have been in RMC.




Country: | Posts: 1533 Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Does your proto 1000 RS11 rattle? Topic Next Topic: making & using scale drawings to build structures  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000