Atlas Model Railroad Co. - PRR/NYC Erie Built History???
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 61 ]  [ Total: 61 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 O Scale Model Railroad Forum
 PRR/NYC Erie Built History???
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: My trains made the News Topic Next Topic: Any other cars that use 60 box long shank coupler  

brownjo4

Posted - 2005 December 01 :  1:26:26 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering how long the Erie Builts lasted with the PRR and NYC? Were they scrapped or sold off? If they were maintained did they make it into Penn Central paint?

Just curious.

Thanks

Edited by - brownjo4 on 2005 December 01 1:28:58 PM

Spikre

Posted - 2005 December 01 :  1:45:33 PM  Show Profile

think that NONE got NEAR PC !!!
as running locos anyway !!!
PRR likely parked thiers after 1960 to
wait for thier TRUSTS to EXPIRE !!
a common PRR Practice !!!
likely gone back to GE before 1963.
NYC likely RAN thiers until closer to
TRUST EXPIRATION,but likely also gone
around 1963. three got EMD engines,
but still gone with the others !!?
none ever got PC numbers,thats for SURE !!
GATOR2,GATOR1,GATOR2
BadddOrderrr

Erie,America's 1st Trunk Line !!
Piermont N.Y. to Dunkirk N.Y.,1848 !!!
Waiting For Skip's Train To Pull Into Hillside Station !!

Edited by - Spikre on 2005 December 01 1:47:52 PM

prrhorseshoecurve

Posted - 2005 December 01 :  7:04:58 PM  Show Profile
TWO PRR B Units Lasted in the 1970's on a Welded Rail Train. They were then Purchased by a co and sent to Canada on the same welded rail train. Eventually the B units were scrapped but the Trucks live on Under Dale McCormick's NKP190!

www.nkp190.com

Number90

Posted - 2005 December 03 :  5:45:43 PM  Show Profile
An item of trivia concerning NYC passenger Eries . . . In 1950 or 1951, a pair of Eries was on the point of a passenger train in Ohio that broadsided a gasoline truck at a crossing, resulting in a flaming crash. One issue of the Locomotive Engineers' Journal about 1953 had an article on the incident, including photos of the scorched and bruised locomotives. The Engineer, Howard Cole, survived, despite being horribly burned. Throughout the 1950's, he was BLE's poster Engineer for its campaign to more stringently enforce laws on trucks hauling flammable cargo. The locomotives were repaired and returned to service.

No railroad seemed to be thrilled with its Erie-Builts. My uncle ran them fairly regularly in Union Pacific passenger service on the LA&SL and said that they were exceptionally high-performance engines, when they ran. That was the general opinion of Santa Fe Engineers concerning Number 90. After I hired out in AT&SF engine service in 1970, I heard accounts from several men who had worked passenger in the 1940's and 1950's about Number 90, and everybody seemed to have at least one horror story about a trip on her, in spite of praise for her when she ran.

Tom
Santa Fe -- all the way

tom thorpe

Posted - 2005 December 04 :  7:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit tom thorpe's Homepage
Tom,

Coupla questions if I may;

How many Erie builts did Sana Fe have?

Were they all A-B-A configurations?

Is #90 the only warbonnet A unit Atlas offers?

Thanks

Tom Thorpe
www.curvedbenchwork.net

tsgtbob

Posted - 2005 December 05 :  5:25:31 PM  Show Profile
The October 1975 issue of RMC has a really good article on the Eries.

"Nothing says craftsmanship like smooth duct tape"
Red Green

tom thorpe

Posted - 2005 December 05 :  11:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit tom thorpe's Homepage
Thanks Red, I'll run right out and buy one 30 years ago. Seriously though, any info??????

TT

Tom Thorpe
www.curvedbenchwork.net

Spikre

Posted - 2005 December 06 :  11:56:17 AM  Show Profile

try ATSF 90A cab,90B B Unit !!!
guess they werent convinced !!!
GATOR2,GATOR1,GATOR2
BadddOrderrr

Number90

Posted - 2005 December 06 :  10:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Tom, The A-B-A 90L-90A-90B set was the Santa Fe's only Erie-Built. It was not only constructed by GE at Erie, but it had GE electrical components. Electrically, it was very similar to ATSF's Alco-GE PA-1 and PB-1 units.

Until 1958, Santa Fe kept all the EMD F3 and F7 units in their original numbered sets. However, the Alcos and Erie-Builts were sometimes mixed with each other, as they had compatible GE dynamic brake control circuitry. Usually, ATSF transcontinental passenger trains had a 6000 horsepower diesel, A-B-B-A EMD F's or A-B-A Alcos or Eries. I saw the 90 run twice when I was a boy, and it was in the A-B-A set. At that time, 1956, it was making a daily round trip from Barstow to L A on No.17, the Super Chief, returning on No. 24 or 124, the Grand Canyon. It saw the Barstow shop daily, and was reliable when that was the case. When adjusted daily, it ran like a striped ape. The 90 finished its days on the Kansas City-Tulsa trains, again getting to Argentine daily and being perfectly reliable when things could be fixed before they festered. Santa Fe soured on the 90 early-on, as it had a lot of engine trouble in the 1947-1955 period, while Fairbanks-Morse improved the engine components. But it disappeared from the Chiefs while still new, being banished to the secondary trains where the schedule was not as tight.

You can find articles about F-M's early woes, which primarily resulted from not having enough time to thoroughly work the bugs out of the opposed piston engine before sending it out to compete with Alco, EMD and Baldwin diesels. It had worked fine in submarines, with oilers and machinists mates always present and no vibration from running over a railroad, but the sustained output, then sustained idling, and longer maintenance intervals of locomotive use were different, and the 1945-1953 F-M engines did not perform very reliably for the railroads. Given Santa Fe's high standard of passenger service, you can see why they pulled out their corporate hair at having spent a million dollars on a red and silver lemon. By the time F-M had fixed the design problems, most railroads, including Santa Fe, had already had enough and weren't interested. And, even though - when running - it was a real hotrod of a locomotive, they could never trust it to run reliably like the F3's and F7's, so it was never again given transcontinental duty on the Chiefs.

Tom
Santa Fe -- all the way

Spikre

Posted - 2005 December 07 :  12:52:55 AM  Show Profile

Tom,
read the DSG-2 wrong,thanks for
the correct info !!!
page FM 342 shows 90/90A/90B, and thought
that was just 2 units !!!
will put 90L down in the notes to get that
in order !!!
used to roads with A,B,C,D,or EL with
a 1,2,3,4, at the end of a number where
needed !!
the ATSF L is hard to get used to !!!
GATOR2,GATOR1,GATOR2
BadddOrderrr

brownjo4

Posted - 2005 December 07 :  02:57:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info guys. I tried to find information / photos on the Erie-Builts to no avail. Obviously their life was short lived as far as locos go. Well now I know.

John

NewtOScale

Posted - 2005 December 08 :  12:38:07 PM  Show Profile
Re NYC Eriebuilts...you can see some photos on-line at the 'Fallen Flags' site, http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/. The NYC passenger units were 4400-4405 and the freight units were 5000-5005; 'b' units freight only 5100-5101. There could be PRR units in the PRR section, but I'm not a SPF. I personally can help you with photos and dispositions on NYC power. If you need some scans or other info, look in the book 'New York Central Diesel Locomotives' by Edson, Vail and Smith, still available I believe.

Newt

Previous Topic: My trains made the News Topic Next Topic: Any other cars that use 60 box long shank coupler  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000