Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Atlas NKP caboose upgrade with 2 photos and text
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 49 ]  [ Total: 49 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Atlas NKP caboose upgrade with 2 photos and text
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Weekend modeling plans Topic Next Topic: Trix 19000-series caboose
Page: of 2

Jim 6

Posted - 2005 October 13 :  3:30:04 PM  Show Profile
Upgrading the Atlas Nickel Plate Road 700-series caboose

Here are a couple of views of my Atlas Nickel Plate Road HO-scale caboose. It is a factory painted model that has been modified to more accurately match the NKP prototype. The most significant change was made to the roof of the body and roof of the cupola. Out of the box, the roof is a Murphy panel roof with step eves. The prototype had a flat roof with rounded eves.

The cupola, roof walks, and other vulnerable detail were removed, then the Murphy roof panels and ribs were removed by using sand paper. The eve steps were filled with Evergreen scale 4x4 then scraped and sanded to a quarter-round. The bottom side of the roof walks were scraped and sanded in order to reduce the thickness to a little more than half of the original thickness.

Other detail upgrades include side sill tabs that were cut from .020-inch styrene and cemented it place. The end railings were removed and replaced with brass rod of a more prototypical size and cut and positioned to match the prototype.

Another big change was to remove the two steps from the four step wells and replace then with three steps at each step well. Note: The NKP prototype caboose had three steps whereas the Atlas model has but two.

Other modifications included .010-inch brass cupola roof railings, .012-inch brass smoke jack supports, and .010-inch brass curved body grabs. McHenry scale couplers, Kadee brake wheels, Detail Associates coupler cut levers, and Detail Associates train line air hoses were all installed. And last, the model was weathered using an airbrush for the roof, underside, running gear and trucks. The body was weathered using the Q-tip method. All weathering is Model Flex and Polly Scale acrylic paints. No chalks!

Jim Six

gregbartek

Posted - 2005 October 13 :  7:23:07 PM  Show Profile
WOW, awesome work Jim! I've followed your online clinics and have marveled at your weathering ability. The weathering and road-use detailing adds a whole other dimension of realism. You take the Atlas caboose to another level.

I'm quite the novice, but can you describe the "Q-tip" method?

Glad your back.

Greg

SW chief

Posted - 2005 October 13 :  7:37:08 PM  Show Profile
Another Greg (me) had the exact same thoughts, Jim. WOW was indeed the first word that popped into my mind. If that were photoshopped into photo of a real track scene (ALA the older Athearn ads), I would not be able to tell it was not real. Incredibly nice detailing and weathering.

Enjoy the hobby!

Greg

TwoHands

Posted - 2005 October 13 :  8:24:31 PM  Show Profile
See what happens when Jim needs a project to break up the new house duties? Nice work buddy! J

What horn?

Jim 6

Posted - 2005 October 13 :  8:39:22 PM  Show Profile
Yes. I have both numbered cabooses that Atlas offered. I will be using the 2nd one to take construction photos for a clinic.

Jim

quote:
Originally posted by TwoHands

See what happens when Jim needs a project to break up the new house duties? Nice work buddy! J

B_A_R

Posted - 2005 October 13 :  11:37:45 PM  Show Profile

Careful, Jim. You keep showing off great work like this and you might just keep the detail people in business!

Jim 6

Posted - 2005 October 13 :  11:48:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying BAR, . . . I'm trying. Sometimes I feel like the lone ranger though.

Jim 6

quote:
Originally posted by B_A_R

Careful, Jim. You keep showing off great work like this and you might just keep the detail people in business!

TwoHands

Posted - 2005 October 14 :  12:11:30 AM  Show Profile
Yez.. ve see you haf been prepayring anozer klinik... vil zis be an on-line klinik? I vaz vorried about ze clinik gap you zee???? Dr. Strangelove

What horn?

Jim 6

Posted - 2005 October 14 :  12:13:46 AM  Show Profile
Don't recall the other number. All my models are packed in boxed waiting for themoving van to pick them up and transport them to Indiana.

Jim

quote:
Originally posted by TwoHands

Yez.. ve see you haf been prepayring anozer klinik... vil zis be an on-line klinik? I vaz vorried about ze clinik gap you zee???? Dr. Strangelove

richhotrain

Posted - 2005 October 14 :  07:12:14 AM  Show Profile
Update? I can't update what I don't have.

Finding an Atlas NKP caboose is harder than anything else HO that I have had to locate over the past three years. Anyone know where to find one for sale? Anyone know if and when Atlas will make a new run of the NKP caboose?

Jim 6

Posted - 2005 October 14 :  08:31:56 AM  Show Profile
This is a problem typical for NKP modelers. Seems that manufacturers underestimate the market for this railroad. Also, quite a few folks blasted Atlas over this model because the roof and number of steps are do not match the prototype.

However, my feeling is one of thanks to Atlas. I would not have this model had Atlas not produced it. For many folks the roof would not matter if for no other reason they would not know it doesn't match the prototype or their threshold of detail discomfort is sufficiently low. And for those that care, it is a relatively simple fix. Again, thanks Atlas.

Jim

quote:
Originally posted by richhotrain

Update? I can't update what I don't have.

Finding an Atlas NKP caboose is harder than anything else HO that I have had to locate over the past three years. Anyone know where to find one for sale? Anyone know if and when Atlas will make a new run of the NKP caboose?

Paul Cutler III

Posted - 2005 October 14 :  12:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Paul Cutler III's Homepage
Jim,
Please don't take this as any kind of criticism because that's an outstanding job you've done here, but I was wondering why all the windows in your caboose are frosted over? Are you going for the dirty window look? Or could you not get the glass out when you airbrushed it?

The reason I ask is that I have 6 of the NH NE-6's (with at least 2 or 4 more on the way), and at some point I may actually weather at least some of them. And if you couldn't get the glass out, then I doubt I could.

BTW, a nearby hobby shop to me had 61 NH NE-6's in stock last time I was there (but no NKP). 61! I could not believe it...

Paul A. Cutler III

Jim 6

Posted - 2005 October 14 :  12:26:31 PM  Show Profile
I definitely went for the dirty window look. To me, clean windows detract from a weathered model. But, that's just my feeling. For that matter, the model would look a whole lot more realistic if placed on a layout setting such as the coal mine scene that Coaltrain just completed!

Thanks,
Jim

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Cutler III

Jim,
Please don't take this as any kind of criticism because that's an outstanding job you've done here, but I was wondering why all the windows in your caboose are frosted over? Are you going for the dirty window look? Or could you not get the glass out when you airbrushed it?

The reason I ask is that I have 6 of the NH NE-6's (with at least 2 or 4 more on the way), and at some point I may actually weather at least some of them. And if you couldn't get the glass out, then I doubt I could.

BTW, a nearby hobby shop to me had 61 NH NE-6's in stock last time I was there (but no NKP). 61! I could not believe it...

INRAIL

Posted - 2005 October 14 :  1:08:46 PM  Show Profile
Jim, love the caboose. It brings back good memories of the NKP when I was growing up in Plymouth, Indiana. I know I said this in another thread, but boy am I glad to see you back. Your modeling is fantastic and I must say that I have borrowed a technique or two from you over the last couple of years. Tom Johnson

dean

Posted - 2005 October 14 :  1:33:11 PM  Show Profile
J-6, being a Caboose-aholic, those are some nice hacks! Your modeling has shown that with a little work you can change a model's accuracy to closely represent the prototype.

dean

Santa Fe all the Way....Middle Division Emporia Sub Circa 1976 - 1986
Hoping someone someday will make a quality ACF 4600

Jim 6

Posted - 2005 October 14 :  1:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Why thanks Dean.

I admit to trying to make a statement by letting my photos speak on my behalf. The statement is exactly as you put it, "with a little work you can change a model's accuracy to closely represent the prototype."

Far too many of us are afraid to attempt realistic modeling. In years past this called for a lot of work. But today, so little is needed to turn an already "quality" model into t truly realistic model that we are running out of excuses.

Thanks again,
Jim

quote:
Originally posted by dean

J-6, being a Caboose-aholic, those are some nice hacks! Your modeling has shown that with a little work you can change a model's accuracy to closely represent the prototype.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Weekend modeling plans Topic Next Topic: Trix 19000-series caboose  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.99 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000