Atlas Model Railroad Co. - c44-9/c40-9 body differances
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 c44-9/c40-9 body differances
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Train Mag Publication Delays Topic Next Topic: Apologies to the Erie Lackawanna Historical Socy  

hotmetal train

Posted - 2005 May 30 :  2:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello all
i know i can get the correct info here!!
I have a Athearn c44-9... but all the NS units i have been researching are C40-9....can someone (chris) tell me the differances in the body to be able to make the correct modification... or do i just not worrie about it and put the c40-9 letters on the cab and be done

thanks in advance

Jeff

Martin Goller

Posted - 2005 May 30 :  2:42:09 PM  Show Profile
NS C40-9Ws are externally the same as various C44-9Ws from other roads. The main thing is that they are rated at 4000 hp vs. 4400 hp.

Now NS C40-9Ws have a few features that make them stand out:

- head light between the numberboards above the windshield. I think most, if not all other roads have the headlight low in the nose.

- the vast majority of CW40-9s have a late phase arrangement of grills under the radiator. ALl doors that don't have latches have tall grills.

Here a couple of photos:

And a close up of the roof/DB

The business section of a CW40-9

Just as a note: The C40-9 (without the "W") is unique to NS. No commercial model available, but folks have kit bashed them.

Martin

Edited by - Martin Goller on 2005 May 30 2:58:16 PM

bigboy4015

Posted - 2005 May 30 :  6:27:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigboy4015's Homepage
The NS ordered C40-9 and C40-9Ws over a near 10 year span, so the engines were built in diffent phases.
Because of this, the first C40-9Ws were equipped with nose lights.

And: The NS C40-9Wengineers became not the modern controldesks - No joke, the C40-9W is equipped with a traditional AAR controlstand!
The C40-9W was NS first locomotive equipped with the safetycab!

A little more about the engine: NS decided that their new C40-9 later (-9W)will be rated to 4000hp. This was done by electronic. The engine isnt the 4000 hp Dash 8 engine.

With more than 1000 C40-9Ws - the engine is the backbone in the NS fleet.

Cajon Pass - Best railroadplace in the world!

UP and BNSF forever !
...................*

Bigboy4015 - Ulrich
The situation is hopeless but not serious !

Curt Mc

Posted - 2005 May 30 :  6:46:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigboy4015
Because of this, the first C40-9Ws were equipped with nose lights.

INCORRECT!!!!

ALL C40-9W units - all owned by NS - have the headlights at the top of the cab front above the windshield... From the first C40-9W #8889 to the last ones delivered that has been the case. No NS C40-9W unit has nose headlights...

The NS C40-9W units are the ONLY GE Dash 9 units with cab top headlights. All other North American railroads have ordered their Dash 9 units with the nose headlights...

- Curt Mc

PS. The #8931 shown in Martin's photo is from the very first NS C40-9W order and - as you can clearly see - it does not have a nose headlight... (Kato and Athearn C44-9W models have nose headlights because those companies apparently didn't want to go to the extra expenses of doing the proper NS nose and cab)

Edited by - Curt Mc on 2005 May 30 6:50:08 PM

Martin Goller

Posted - 2005 May 30 :  8:48:37 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Curt.

Here is 8889 fresh from the shop. And the light is on the top...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=57213

Here is 8889 with a newer unit, showing the presence of the tall grills on even the very first unit. So I also doubt that there is a "phase change" in the units. At least not for the first 750 or so...

I showed the photo of an early C40-9W, but I couldn't find the other side.
So here is one from railpictures.net.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=82504

Again, the two rear doors without the latches have tall grills.

Even better visibile in this "Nudie" picture...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=82463

The earlier version has all low grills. Like this CNW unit:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=99054

or the other side, this ATSF unit.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=86345

Now, there are intermediate versions out there, you ATSF/BNSF modellers need to worry about.
Like this of BNSF 4901. Brakewheel - Tall-short-short. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=99697

But as far as I can tell, the NS units are all the same. Brakewheel - Tall-short-tall. If someone can point me to a photo showing otherwise, I'd love to know about it...

Martin

Edited by - Martin Goller on 2005 May 30 8:51:29 PM

bigboy4015

Posted - 2005 May 31 :  02:40:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit bigboy4015's Homepage
Hups, my mistake !

With different phases I will say that its logical that over such a span improvements are normal. And I WAS sure that the first series was delivered with nose headlights - but its correct: The first NS C40-9Ws were also the first with roofmounted headlight.

BTW: Im not sure that also later NS C40-9W were equipped with a conventional AAR controlstand instead of desks.
Im surprised that inside cab pics are so rare!!!

UP and BNSF forever !
...................*

Bigboy4015 - Ulrich

SOU2645

Posted - 2005 May 31 :  08:10:45 AM  Show Profile
[
BTW: Im not sure that also later NS C40-9W were equipped with a conventional AAR controlstand instead of desks.
Im surprised that inside cab pics are so rare!!!
[/quote]

All NS Dash 9's (and our new ES40DC's) have control stands. There are subtle differences inside the cabs of the different orders from over the years. One batch has chemical toilets whereas all others have vaccuum toilets (but the first few orders had non flushing baggie toilets to begin with). Later units have cab signals for ex CR territory and a fan on the engineers side. The first batch units have a slightly different control stand that has the radio mount up as high as the computers. This hides the engineer from view entirely on these.
Most don't have brakewheels - they have an electronic brake with a toggle switch in cab. Most of the final order have an electronic brake with the buttons on the outside with a brakewheel for emergency use if the system fails. There is no backup for the toggle units and I have had them with said switch broken off.
Larry

hotmetal train

Posted - 2005 May 31 :  10:30:19 AM  Show Profile
thank you for ALL the info.looks like im going to do some cutting and filling, and notching and setting a new headlite in uptop. and poss change out # boards, and i may let it go from there...

thanks again

Jeff

hotmetal train

Posted - 2005 May 31 :  10:36:00 AM  Show Profile
found an interior pic

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=105898

Dave Plummer

Posted - 2005 May 31 :  12:27:18 PM  Show Profile
Don't for get the x-panels behind the dynamic brake cabinets. Details West makes these in their BNSF C44-9W detail kit. I made mine from .010 styrene sheet.

Dave

hotmetal train

Posted - 2005 May 31 :  7:44:16 PM  Show Profile
ok ok i have one last comment, i was driving home thinking about this post...If in fact NS has 1000 units all with the head lite on top and # boards on top, WHY wouldnt one of the companys make that cab.... they made the gull wing!!!

any way i just got done filling in the head lite, and made cut and set my headlight in between the # boards, so im sure my unit will be just fine. Im done, stepping off my soap box

Jeff

achoochoo

Posted - 2005 May 31 :  8:25:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hotmetal train

ok ok i have one last comment, i was driving home thinking about this post...If in fact NS has 1000 units all with the head lite on top and # boards on top, WHY wouldnt one of the companys make that cab.... they made the gull wing!!!

any way i just got done filling in the head lite, and made cut and set my headlight in between the # boards, so im sure my unit will be just fine. Im done, stepping off my soap box

Jeff

"Everything sells better with a war bonnet on it"!!!

bigboy4015

Posted - 2005 June 01 :  12:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit bigboy4015's Homepage
The models are "older" - Kato was built in 1997 and I mean that the Athearn was built the same year.
NS started buying widecab Dash 9s in 1996.

At this time Katos Dash 9 versions are: high or low numberboards, normal or gullwing cab and the steps at front and rear.
The BNSF merger was done so they see the paintvariations for gullwing cab.
The number of NS Dash 9s with widecab was at this time only the first 165 unit order (the highest Kato was #8979, the entire series is #8889-9054)

I think the answer was: Its to expensive to built a complete new cab that is only possible with a single paintscheme!
Kato also built the CSX version that was in real a very different (and unique CSX) C44-8W!

UP and BNSF forever !
...................*

Bigboy4015 - Ulrich

Previous Topic: Train Mag Publication Delays Topic Next Topic: Apologies to the Erie Lackawanna Historical Socy  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000