Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Simple question - mounting structures
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 56 ]  [ Total: 56 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Simple question - mounting structures
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: WHEW!!!!  Got Ur Done!!!!! Topic Next Topic: any member in North Carolina that have DCC
Page: of 2

notenuftoys

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  12:05:52 AM  Show Profile
I have a simple question. What's the best way to mount structures to my layout? My base is foam insulation panels, and for the track, I have cork and then the rails on top of the foam.

Do I need to raise the structures on cork, so the bottom is level with the bottom of the track?

Thanks...
I couldn't wait for success.... so I went on without it.

up1950s

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  12:16:08 AM  Show Profile
The only structures that are rail height sensitive are stations , freight platforms , and rail servicing structures . The rest treat as in real life .

Walthers Goo is one method of keeping those buildings from floating away .

Richie Dost Photos http://picasaweb.google.com/up1950s

up1950s

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  12:16:08 AM  Show Profile
The only structures that are rail height sensitive are stations , freight platforms , and rail servicing structures . The rest treat as in real life .

Walthers Goo is one method of keeping those buildings from floating away .

Richie Dost Photos http://picasaweb.google.com/up1950s

mmyers

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  05:55:40 AM  Show Profile
I use latex caulk to attach structures to my NTRAK modules. Grey, brown, or black are better choices than white. I cut the tip of the tube so the hole is as small can be. Insert a thin piece of piano wire to open the tube and apply a small bead on the base of the structure. Excess can be cleaned up after. If applied sparingly, cleanup is not needed. It's water soluble until dry.
Haven't lost one yet.

Martin Myers

mmyers

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  05:55:40 AM  Show Profile
I use latex caulk to attach structures to my NTRAK modules. Grey, brown, or black are better choices than white. I cut the tip of the tube so the hole is as small can be. Insert a thin piece of piano wire to open the tube and apply a small bead on the base of the structure. Excess can be cleaned up after. If applied sparingly, cleanup is not needed. It's water soluble until dry.
Haven't lost one yet.

Martin Myers

Rossford Yard

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  07:45:33 AM  Show Profile
You can use track nails, squares of foam, etc. located on four inside corners of the building to anchor them in place, without glueing them down permanently, which would be handy on modules, in any move, and for cleaning and/or future detailing of the structure.

Jeff

GM of the Indiana Harbor Belt - The "Expanding Belt Line"

Rossford Yard

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  07:45:33 AM  Show Profile
You can use track nails, squares of foam, etc. located on four inside corners of the building to anchor them in place, without glueing them down permanently, which would be handy on modules, in any move, and for cleaning and/or future detailing of the structure.

Jeff

GM of the Indiana Harbor Belt - The "Expanding Belt Line"

NYC

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  09:38:14 AM  Show Profile
As Jeff has stated don't glue them. Use nails or dowel rods glued in the corners to hold them in place, this works great for foam. You will always have to pick them up to dust or detail later.

11th commandment
Thou shall not talk bad about steam nor Kato.

NYC

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  09:38:14 AM  Show Profile
As Jeff has stated don't glue them. Use nails or dowel rods glued in the corners to hold them in place, this works great for foam. You will always have to pick them up to dust or detail later.

11th commandment
Thou shall not talk bad about steam nor Kato.

Powersteamguy1790

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  09:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Powersteamguy1790's Homepage
I don't glue any structures down on the JJJ&E. They are put in place and the scenery is added and basically keeps the structures in place.

They can easily be removed to add lighting, etc.

Stay cool and run steam.....

powersteamguy1790s Photos Of The JJJ&E

Powersteamguy1790

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  09:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Powersteamguy1790's Homepage
I don't glue any structures down on the JJJ&E. They are put in place and the scenery is added and basically keeps the structures in place.

They can easily be removed to add lighting, etc.

Stay cool and run steam.....

powersteamguy1790s Photos Of The JJJ&E

3rdrail

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  09:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit 3rdrail's Homepage
To me, nothing looks less realistic than a building sitting on the landscape, especially with air underneath (unless it's on pilings).

I use colored plaster over screenwire on flat areas and set the buildings into the wet plaster. Before it has completely set I remove the buildings and clean the plaster off. After I have painted and scenicked the ground, I glue the building back into its "foundation" with Goo.

I take my railroad to shows, so everything but the trains is securely fastened down.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Gregg.Mahlkov/

3rdrail

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  09:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit 3rdrail's Homepage
To me, nothing looks less realistic than a building sitting on the landscape, especially with air underneath (unless it's on pilings).

I use colored plaster over screenwire on flat areas and set the buildings into the wet plaster. Before it has completely set I remove the buildings and clean the plaster off. After I have painted and scenicked the ground, I glue the building back into its "foundation" with Goo.

I take my railroad to shows, so everything but the trains is securely fastened down.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Gregg.Mahlkov/

TRT2

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  10:29:16 AM  Show Profile
by the way, this is an excellent question!

Tony Twiddy
Healdsburg (soon to be Auburn) CA
Cd 80, D C, plywood and nails

TRT2

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  10:29:16 AM  Show Profile
by the way, this is an excellent question!

Tony Twiddy
Healdsburg (soon to be Auburn) CA
Cd 80, D C, plywood and nails

traingeekboy

Posted - 2005 April 28 :  11:09:42 AM  Show Profile
First off, so far I like all the ideas stated. There are no set rules in model railroading.

If you attach structures to your layout with strong glue then you may damage them if you ever need to remove them.

I am partial to the scenic but do not attach approach, as Powersteam has stated, when I'm doing rural structures. I blend them into the scenery with dirt and ground foam and if need be I can remove them from the scenery. This way they do not appear to be floating on the scenery.

I did this with a portable layout and the scenery base had a hole in it in such a manner that I could re-position the structure like a puzzle piece when ever I set up the layout.

If I was doing a city scene I would make all my pavement and side walks, then place my buildings and keep them from drifting the way Rossford says to do it. On my layout I had a small town section that was all on one piece of basswood as a sidewalk and structure base, so I could lift my whole downtown off the layout in one piece.

There are going to be certain structural items that simply become part of the scenery. Coal chutes and other bridge like under track items.

Edited by - traingeekboy on 2005 April 28 11:13:58 AM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: WHEW!!!!  Got Ur Done!!!!! Topic Next Topic: any member in North Carolina that have DCC  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000