Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Walthers doodlebug
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 30 ]  [ Total: 30 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Walthers doodlebug
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Digitrax Detection and Signaling Topic Next Topic: Apartment Adaptation(its all FluidDyncs Fault!!!)  

oldline1

Posted - 2005 April 21 :  6:17:57 PM  Show Profile
Who's got one? What do you think of it? Is it a good runner? Better than the Spectrum gas electric?

Roger

scotchtrain

Posted - 2005 April 21 :  6:57:02 PM  Show Profile
It's ok. Slow running and really no pulling power to take 2-3-cars up a grade. Doesn't pull my track cleaning car. Is ok on level track with 2-3 cars or up grades by it self. Don't have the Spectrum gas electric,so I can not make any comparlson.

Modeling the WP or NP, SP, UP or something.

charlief

Posted - 2005 April 21 :  7:07:52 PM  Show Profile
My experience is identical to that of Scotchtrain except I have never tried it with a track cleaning car. Even just one car behind it on a 3% grade causes its wheels to spin, so I give it a "running start" before the grade. You may wonder why bother to pull another car with it, but it all has to do with prototype. In 1944 I rode a doodlebug [us kids called it "the dinky"] on the LV between Geneva and Ithaca, NY that pulled a milk car and hence stopped very frequently to pick up milk cans.

Bob Elliott

Posted - 2005 April 21 :  7:36:23 PM  Show Profile
And truth be known, most of those cars in real life couldn't pull much more than themselves on a good day. The ones on the CNW were powered with engines rated in the low hundreds of horse power, so it's no wonder they didn't have pulling power.

Bob Elliott

Don Gibson

Posted - 2005 April 21 :  7:59:58 PM  Show Profile
REAL 'Doodlebugs' rarely pulled anything more than 1 car - if that -and then, on the so-called flatland's. 3% grade? You've got to be kidding.

It was the Greyhound bus of it's day, carrying packages and passengers on a combine body, powered (?) by a gasolene or kerosene truck engine.

A Gas-Electric going up Raton with 3 car's Suuuure!

Most ALL Except ATSF M-190 patrolled the 'sticks'.

Don Gibson
                                      ______
                       I I__()____||__| |||||
                          ((((|__|----------|  |  ||||||||||
                     //---O O O O--OO oo oo
                     #######################     

k9wrangler

Posted - 2005 April 21 :  8:04:21 PM  Show Profile
Don't have Walthers, but my Spectrum is a D-O-G especially for the hassle involved in making it DCC. I think it would stall on a fleck of dandruff on the track, if'n I wasn't bald.

Karl Scribner
H.M.F.W.B.I.C.

Sunfield Twp. Michigan

Just a grumpy old man playing with my toy trains!
Friend of SPIKRE

Previous Topic: Digitrax Detection and Signaling Topic Next Topic: Apartment Adaptation(its all FluidDyncs Fault!!!)  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.46 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000