Atlas Model Railroad Co. - F-Units... IM, Kato & Athearn
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 40 ]  [ Total: 40 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 F-Units... IM, Kato & Athearn
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Weathering track with water based paint Topic Next Topic: Black Gold Asphalt
Page: of 2

SantaFeJim

Posted - 2005 April 07 :  12:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit SantaFeJim's Homepage
I need your help. How do the Intermountain F-units compare (price, performance and looks) with Kato and Athearn Genesis?

THANKS in advance.

Coming soon to a layout near you... The Santa Fe El Capitan.

Paul Cutler III

Posted - 2005 April 07 :  12:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Paul Cutler III's Homepage
Kato made HO F-units? They built FT drives for Stewart, but that's all they did.

The Athearn Genesis F-unit shells have been described to me as the best F-unit shell ever made in any medium, including brass. Also, the Athearn Blomberg truck has also been described in the same terms. Really, the only knock on the Genesis F's is the drive, which while still a great drive, is still not as good as a Kato.

The IM F-unit, if it were not for the Genesis, would be the best F-unit shell in plastic. They also have a great drive, if still not as good as Kato.

As for Stewart/Kato, the FT is an old model shell, and suffers a bit when compared to modern tooling. The drive, however, is first rate.

For prices, I'm afraid you'll have to do your own shopping on that one...

Paul A. Cutler III

wc581

Posted - 2005 April 07 :  12:43:27 PM  Show Profile
The problem I dont like with IM is they look fine by themselves, with an athearn they look bad, They sit higher than the athearn, grabs, lift rings are way thicker

Go athearn

PRR4465

Posted - 2005 April 07 :  12:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit PRR4465's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Cutler III

Kato made HO F-units? They built FT drives for Stewart, but that's all they did.
As for Stewart/Kato, the FT is an old model shell, and suffers a bit when compared to modern tooling. The drive, however, is first rate.

I don't mean to nitpick, but the Stewart FT drive is all their own. That was their big claim to fame when the FT came out.
Kato, however made Stewart's F unit drive for their prior F3-F9's.

Cheers,
Dave Witty

Photo albums:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16364941@N00/sets/72157602187879225/

Happy Dave runs his trains!

TREBOR

Posted - 2005 April 07 :  1:00:01 PM  Show Profile
Stewarts F3 5 7 9 originally had kato drives and methinks were molded by kato with Stewart's dies.

DIAPHONE 32'

rhpd42002

Posted - 2005 April 07 :  1:13:38 PM  Show Profile
I don't know all the details, but my 5 Stewart F-units all have trucks stamped with KATO on them.
The bodies may not be as detailed as the newer Athearn Genesis, but mine are excellent engines in their running and looks. I wouldn't sell/trade 'em for anything. As they all came unnumbered, all I have/had to do is add them. If my LHS had any more BN/GN units on clearance, like he does for many A/B sets, they would be here or on layaway to be here.
Not knocking the others mentioned, but I love my Stewart F-units.

Mike

SantaFeJim

Posted - 2005 April 07 :  1:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit SantaFeJim's Homepage
Sorry, the Title s/b IM, Stewart & Athearn.

SW chief

Posted - 2005 April 07 :  1:54:57 PM  Show Profile
I own well over a dozen of the Genesis (which are really assembled, exquisitely painted, and nicely powered Highliner's) as well a dozen of the IM's and have operated Stewarts many times. I agree with everything said here so far. WC581 made an interesting observation that I never thought of before, because I never seem to run the Genesis with the IM's for whatever reasons, but what he says is indeed true. Nonetheless, the IM's are very nice. I especially like the ATSF blue warbonnets and yellow warbonnet's they did. Basically they are painted like the red warbonnets we all know and love, except instead of the red, they used blue on some and yellow on some. These are prototypical from around the time of the Amtrak startup in the early 70's. Athearn even did these as special editions in their blue box line a few years ago.

If you get IM's, their powered drives are very nice, but don't bother getting the smart dummies, get powered drives on all. The smart dummy is essentially the same as a powered unit with the motor absent - ie, it's a lot of deadweight for a dummy - the frame is so heavy. That deadweight translates into an equivalent number of fewer cars (based on weight) you can add to the train or more powered units you will have to add to pull the train. If you want a dummy, put the IM shell on a blue box dummy F chassis.

Don't forget the Proto 1000 F's. Like the Stewarts, their detailing is very nice but not near to the level of the Genesis and IM's. Their drives, however, are also excellent, and their cost is very cheap. My favorites are the Genesis and IM's, hands down, but for the money you cannot beat the P1K's. They're the best bang for the buck, IMHO, of any locomotive or model you can buy - if you shop around.

Good luck!

Enjoy the hobby!

Greg

Edited by - SW chief on 2005 April 07 1:57:58 PM

SW chief

Posted - 2005 April 07 :  2:00:50 PM  Show Profile
PS Jim - I believe in a similar post by you over a year ago, I promised to post some comparison shots of like IM's and Genesis F's. I apologize for never having done that. I'll see if I can't do some this weekend and post them here.

Enjoy the hobby!

Greg

bigboy4015

Posted - 2005 April 07 :  2:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigboy4015's Homepage
Athearn use for the Body the excellent Highliner-Kit !!!!

And this kit is great.

I have only a A-B-B-A F7 Set in Warbonnet - The first one with all units powered and use them in front of my SUPER CHIEF.

Cajon Pass - Best railroadplace in the world!

UP and BNSF forever !
...................*

Bigboy4015 - Ulrich
The situation is hopeless but not serious !

erich

Posted - 2005 April 07 :  2:17:46 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PRR4465
I don't mean to nitpick, but the Stewart FT drive is all their own. That was their big claim to fame when the FT came out.
Kato, however made Stewart's F unit drive for their prior F3-F9's.

Kato made 100% of the tooling for the F3, F7, and F9 - shells, mechanism, everything (just like the older Atlas models). The tooling was owned by Stewart and they received it when they wanted to go on their own. The FT was a Stewart project not made by Kato.

Kato did make mechanisms only for the U25B and U28B and even a run of the RS12. On those models, the shells were not made by Kato.

Erich

SantaFeJim

Posted - 2005 April 07 :  4:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit SantaFeJim's Homepage
SW chief

Looking forward to it.

Doug Baker

Posted - 2005 April 07 :  4:51:44 PM  Show Profile
Intermountain: Never used their drives, never got any of their assembled, decorated models. I have done some shells A and B units and I like them.

Highliner: I love their kits, but pricey.

Genesis. Since they are the Highliner shells I like them, Paint job was excellent. Had problems with the drives, A friend of mine is having drive trouble too.

Stewart/Kato: There shells are a bit out of date, but less work if you are doing your own.
The drives are great, best on the market. I put the drives under the Intermountain and Highliner shells I did up. I ended up replacing the genesis drives with Stewart as well, no problens since.

Doug

Bearcreekwest

Posted - 2005 April 08 :  12:22:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Baker

. . .
Genesis. Since they are the Highliner shells I like them, Paint job was excellent. Had problems with the drives, A friend of mine is having drive trouble too.

. . . .
Doug

On a trip to Southern California, decided to take the plunge and get a set of Genesie F7s (A&B) in my favorite paint scheme. Since I was 500 miles from home, wanted to test run the locos before putting cash on the counter. F7A seemed to run fine forward but was hesitant and intermittant when running in reverse. Store owner disassembled the drive and looked for problems. Reassembled the loco drive, put it on the track - still the same, didn't want to run in reverse. Store owner got drive from another Genesis F7a. This one ran okay but went click, click, click continuously while running - forward or reverse.

Don
Lower Arizona

P.S. money didn't make it to counter and locomotives were probably sent back to Athearn for exchange.

Don

PRRT&HS 7555
OERM 2133
SASME

Bob Elliott

Posted - 2005 April 08 :  01:07:28 AM  Show Profile
Erich, would you be Erich Russ?

Bob Elliott

erich

Posted - 2005 April 08 :  08:41:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Elliott

Erich, would you be Erich Russ?

Bob Elliott

Yes, it's me.

Erich

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Weathering track with water based paint Topic Next Topic: Black Gold Asphalt  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000