Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Laying out radius flex track
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 24 ]  [ Total: 24 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Laying out radius flex track
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: How do I fasten Kato Unitrak to a foam base? Topic Next Topic: MDC, the new king of steam?  

Bill R

Posted - 2005 January 24 :  7:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for all the questions, but I am really trying to do this right.

I am laying flex track over WS foam roadbed. How should I go about laying out the curves. I know to use a large compass to get the track center line, but in this case the track is on a radiused incline with mountain on either side so there is no way to use a beam. I did use WS foam risers and I am running double track in the area so I could line up the edge of the roadbed with the edge of the foam riser and eyeball it from there, but I am wondering is there is a more positive way. Thanks
Bill Rutherford

txcavgr

Posted - 2005 January 24 :  7:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit txcavgr's Homepage
Bill, one fairly wasteful way - I had some old atlas code 80 sectional - and on my last layout, I soldered a half dozen pieces together, and used them as a guide for my curves that I had on risers. It worked pretty well, because I could use the soldered piece to mark out the curves.

txcavgr

Posted - 2005 January 24 :  7:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit txcavgr's Homepage
Bill, one fairly wasteful way - I had some old atlas code 80 sectional - and on my last layout, I soldered a half dozen pieces together, and used them as a guide for my curves that I had on risers. It worked pretty well, because I could use the soldered piece to mark out the curves.

DJCONWAY

Posted - 2005 January 24 :  8:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Bill,

Make yourself a few templates. Use something like RTS to print up some 30 to 45 degree curves of the radius you want to use. Copy these prints onto cardstock or sheet plastic and carfully cut them out. Use something like a pounce wheel (spelling ain't one of my strong points) to transfer the inner or outer edge to your roadbed by tracing along the edge.

Also make up a few transition, and "S" templates you will be amazed how this simplifies life as you lay track.

Do your part buy stuff!

DJCONWAY

Posted - 2005 January 24 :  8:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Bill,

Make yourself a few templates. Use something like RTS to print up some 30 to 45 degree curves of the radius you want to use. Copy these prints onto cardstock or sheet plastic and carfully cut them out. Use something like a pounce wheel (spelling ain't one of my strong points) to transfer the inner or outer edge to your roadbed by tracing along the edge.

Also make up a few transition, and "S" templates you will be amazed how this simplifies life as you lay track.

Do your part buy stuff!

Zox

Posted - 2005 January 24 :  11:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Zox's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Bill R

I know to use a large compass to get the track center line

Using the large compass, draw an arc of the appropriate radius for your center line on a large piece of paper. Then cut out the curve you just drew, cutting flush on the outside of the curve and leaving about an inch of paper on the inside.

Using the cut-out curve as a template, trace a line on your layout, drawing along the outside curve of the paper (where you cut it to the center line). This will give you your center line on the layout.

A template of this sort is about the simplest way to get a curve when you can't "swing" a radius with a compass. I've used the technique myself several times, except my "large compass" has been a computer drawing program. :)

Rob M., aka Zox
L o r d Z o x @ a o l . c o m
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

Zox

Posted - 2005 January 24 :  11:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Zox's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Bill R

I know to use a large compass to get the track center line

Using the large compass, draw an arc of the appropriate radius for your center line on a large piece of paper. Then cut out the curve you just drew, cutting flush on the outside of the curve and leaving about an inch of paper on the inside.

Using the cut-out curve as a template, trace a line on your layout, drawing along the outside curve of the paper (where you cut it to the center line). This will give you your center line on the layout.

A template of this sort is about the simplest way to get a curve when you can't "swing" a radius with a compass. I've used the technique myself several times, except my "large compass" has been a computer drawing program. :)

Rob M., aka Zox
L o r d Z o x @ a o l . c o m
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

johnhankel

Posted - 2005 January 25 :  11:26:44 AM  Show Profile
I use the method that was stated by txcavgr. I have some 19", 11" and straight pieces that I use to lay out the track. Once I get a centerline, I lay the roadbed, and then lay the flex track right in the middle of the roadbed. Works well for me. Now, if you are using curve radii other than the available sectional track, then you will have to use the template ideas stated above..

johnhankel

Posted - 2005 January 25 :  11:26:44 AM  Show Profile
I use the method that was stated by txcavgr. I have some 19", 11" and straight pieces that I use to lay out the track. Once I get a centerline, I lay the roadbed, and then lay the flex track right in the middle of the roadbed. Works well for me. Now, if you are using curve radii other than the available sectional track, then you will have to use the template ideas stated above..

engineshop

Posted - 2005 January 25 :  12:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Does anybody use Ribonrail Track Gauge products?
http://www.enginetender.com/170m.htm
Scroll down for N-Scale radius 15" to 48"

engineshop

Posted - 2005 January 25 :  12:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Does anybody use Ribonrail Track Gauge products?
http://www.enginetender.com/170m.htm
Scroll down for N-Scale radius 15" to 48"

mightypurdue22

Posted - 2005 January 25 :  1:19:01 PM  Show Profile
Bill - If you're using the foam risers and have double track, do as you mentioned about aligning the edge of the riser equal to the edge of the roadbed. What you'll end up with are two roadbeds whose centers are almost exactly 1.25" apart. A typical spacing for double track. I've done this on a couple of layouts, and have had great success.

~ Dave
Freelancing the ATSF near Newton, KS

mightypurdue22

Posted - 2005 January 25 :  1:19:01 PM  Show Profile
Bill - If you're using the foam risers and have double track, do as you mentioned about aligning the edge of the riser equal to the edge of the roadbed. What you'll end up with are two roadbeds whose centers are almost exactly 1.25" apart. A typical spacing for double track. I've done this on a couple of layouts, and have had great success.

~ Dave
Freelancing the ATSF near Newton, KS

Previous Topic: How do I fasten Kato Unitrak to a foam base? Topic Next Topic: MDC, the new king of steam?  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000