Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Brownhoist crane
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 33 ]  [ Total: 34 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Brownhoist crane
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Two unfortunate firsts in Mobile, AL Topic Next Topic: COCA COLA BOTTLING PLANT NEARBY W/ TRACK SIDING ?  

jon grant

Posted - 2005 January 17 :  03:23:44 AM  Show Profile
I got a parcel on Saturday from Walthers, which included a couple of these cranes which were in their sales flier, and just had to make one up. The model is by JL Innovations

I'm not too happy with the use of cardstock for the jib cross bracing, so I will use brass strip on the next one.

Nice kit though.

Jon
Sweethome Chicago is now on Facebook

Sweethome Alabama is now on Facebook

Hudson Road is now on Facebook

My Videos

My Railimages

CNW

Posted - 2005 January 17 :  04:02:30 AM  Show Profile
Boy Jon that really looks awesome, so does the building flat!

Rockford and Indiana Railroad - THE Chicago connection!

jeh

Posted - 2005 January 17 :  08:28:05 AM  Show Profile
Looks good. What are you going to use these cranes for?

Josh

Dutchman46

Posted - 2005 January 17 :  08:40:06 AM  Show Profile
Jon,
The crane looks great. I have one of these kits on my "to do" shelf. Hmm, maybe it is time to get it into the modeling queue.

Bruce
Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

jon grant

Posted - 2005 January 17 :  09:02:51 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jeh

Looks good. What are you going to use these cranes for?

One in scrap yard, one by team track and one in warehouse complex - means I can load/unload flats and mill gons there.

Jon

My Videos

My Railimages

Edited by - jon grant on 2005 January 17 6:18:56 PM

SD24

Posted - 2005 January 17 :  09:11:38 AM  Show Profile
I guess in model railroad terms, this is an ancient kit. It used to be manufactured by Alexander Scale Models as their Model RS-519 "Little Hook" Industrial Brownhoist. Alexander Scale Models was located in Grand Rapids, MI. I remember reading the adds for it in Model Railroader in the 1960s. I have the kit in its original box. The kit includes parts for building an associated loading dock to go along with the hoist. BTW, it is a scale copy of an actual prototype. I'm glad really that the kit is still available. It is an excellent model. I do not know if the kit was marketed by any other company prior to Alexander.

FYI,

SD24 (Send Cabooses)

Retro-Lounge

Posted - 2005 January 17 :  1:54:18 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I thought this looked familiar. I see these once in a while (Alexander) on eBay.

Nice work Jon. I'll have to pick one of these up for the future scrap/junk yard I am planning.

on edit: Here's a pic.

Paul

quote:
Originally posted by SD24

I guess in model railroad terms, this is an ancient kit. It used to be manufactured by Alexander Scale Models as their Model RS-519 "Little Hook" Industrial Brownhoist. Alexander Scale Models was located in Grand Rapids, MI. I remember reading the adds for it in Model Railroader in the 1960s. I have the kit in its original box. The kit includes parts for building an associated loading dock to go along with the hoist. BTW, it is a scale copy of an actual prototype. I'm glad really that the kit is still available. It is an excellent model. I do not know if the kit was marketed by any other company prior to Alexander.

FYI,

SD24 (Send Cabooses)

Building The Heather Creek Railroad, a Wisconsin short-line.

Charter member of the Milwaukee Fallen Flags MRR Club.

My Digital Camera: Fujifilm S5100

Edited by - Retro-Lounge on 2005 January 17 1:59:18 PM

jon grant

Posted - 2005 January 17 :  6:24:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro-Lounge
I'll have to pick one of these up for the future scrap/junk yard I am planning.

Paul, they are still in the new (January) sale flier from Walthers if you are quick.

Jon

My Videos

My Railimages

Bob Elliott

Posted - 2005 January 17 :  6:42:52 PM  Show Profile
Cardstock parts for the bracing? I don't get that at all. Why would they do that instead of plastic or white metal?

I think I like the Walthers/Train Miniature rail mounted Brown Hoist for bigger jobs like a scrap yard, and this one or the one from the Athearn derrick car for smaller jobs like unloading or loading a gon. I think either Walthers or Con-Cor (or both) also provided small cranes with an engine shed, and Kibri provides an overhead crane with one of their smaller building kits. There are lots of cranes out there for different purposes. I guess the point of all this is: "use the right tool for the job".

Bob Elliott

Previous Topic: Two unfortunate firsts in Mobile, AL Topic Next Topic: COCA COLA BOTTLING PLANT NEARBY W/ TRACK SIDING ?  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000