Atlas Model Railroad Co. - DC Reverse Loop Wiring Question
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 DC Reverse Loop Wiring Question
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Marlboro MA area hobby shops? Topic Next Topic: Atlas Locomotives  

Fotheringill

Posted - 2004 December 11 :  12:52:42 PM  Show Profile
DC Operation-
Atlas Controller is being used for the reverse loop.
Atlas Selectors are used for block power in layout.

I have a few sidings within the reverse loop that need to be wired.

1. Do I use Atlas Connectors?
2. Do I use Atlas Twins?
3. Something else? Not having sidings in the reverse loop is not an option. The loop is large enough to accommodate my longest train.
4. If Connectors or Twins, are they wired into the X,Y or both X and Y terminals on the Controller, or elsewhere, or the common next to the X and Y ?
Any directions will be greatly appreciated.
Fotheringill
Member of Atlas board and Trainboard.com

cruikshank

Posted - 2004 December 11 :  1:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cruikshank's Homepage
Fotheringill, I don't have an answer for you, but I just looked at your gallery. Great Stonework on the portals and aqueduct. I'm also glad to see i'm not the only one using Atlas controllers. Right now I don't have the time for fascia (sp?) and individual toggle switches, so I'm also using MRC packs and Atlas controllers. Your control panel looks very neat. Dave

Always interested in the Reading and other anthracite RR's plus Coal Mines, Especially in "N"

cruikshank

Posted - 2004 December 11 :  1:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cruikshank's Homepage
Fotheringill, I don't have an answer for you, but I just looked at your gallery. Great Stonework on the portals and aqueduct. I'm also glad to see i'm not the only one using Atlas controllers. Right now I don't have the time for fascia (sp?) and individual toggle switches, so I'm also using MRC packs and Atlas controllers. Your control panel looks very neat. Dave

Always interested in the Reading and other anthracite RR's plus Coal Mines, Especially in "N"

Fotheringill

Posted - 2004 December 11 :  9:53:20 PM  Show Profile
Guys-

I really need some help here. It will be most appreciated.

Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Posted - 2004 December 11 :  9:53:20 PM  Show Profile
Guys-

I really need some help here. It will be most appreciated.

Fotheringill

Powersteamguy1790

Posted - 2004 December 11 :  10:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Powersteamguy1790's Homepage
Mark:

The sidings that are contained within the reverse loop are controlled by your wiring in the loop. The sidings can be insulated with palstic rail joiners and wired normally if I remember correctly. It's been a very long time since I wired a reverse loop in DC.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

When the train leaves the siding into the reverse loop and than exits the reverse loop your polarity will change if you wired the reverse loop correctly.

With DCC, it's a snap. Two wires in the loop and two wires out of the loop get connected to the reverse loop module.

Stay cool and run steam....

powersteamguy1790s Photos Of The JJJ&E

Powersteamguy1790

Posted - 2004 December 11 :  10:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Powersteamguy1790's Homepage
Mark:

The sidings that are contained within the reverse loop are controlled by your wiring in the loop. The sidings can be insulated with palstic rail joiners and wired normally if I remember correctly. It's been a very long time since I wired a reverse loop in DC.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

When the train leaves the siding into the reverse loop and than exits the reverse loop your polarity will change if you wired the reverse loop correctly.

With DCC, it's a snap. Two wires in the loop and two wires out of the loop get connected to the reverse loop module.

Stay cool and run steam....

powersteamguy1790s Photos Of The JJJ&E

Fotheringill

Posted - 2004 December 12 :  09:47:42 AM  Show Profile
Bob-

Done that. It still does not work.

Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Posted - 2004 December 12 :  09:47:42 AM  Show Profile
Bob-

Done that. It still does not work.

Fotheringill

leighant

Posted - 2004 December 12 :  11:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit leighant's Homepage
I may be telling you something you already know perfectly, but it was a subtle point for me the first time I worked with it.
When you think about DC wiring a reverse loop, the natural first thing to think of would be a special switch for the reverse loop. But the special switch (DPDT) for the reverse loop is not absolutely necessary. What IS necessary is the special switch (DPDT) for the REST of the layout EXCEPT the reverse loop. However, having only only DPDT switch requires you always to enter the reverse loop from a particular direction (depending on whether you are running locos "forward" or "reverse". Adding a second DPDT switch, one for reverse loop, one from rewt of layout, allows entering reverse loop from any direction. This is a generic answer for DC wiring, regardless of brand of switch used, Atlas or whatever.
I don't remember the connections for the Atlas switches, which is the "connector" switch and which is the "selector" etc. so someone else will have to answer that.

Santa Vaca & Santa Fe Rwy. Holy Cow!

leighant

Posted - 2004 December 12 :  11:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit leighant's Homepage
I may be telling you something you already know perfectly, but it was a subtle point for me the first time I worked with it.
When you think about DC wiring a reverse loop, the natural first thing to think of would be a special switch for the reverse loop. But the special switch (DPDT) for the reverse loop is not absolutely necessary. What IS necessary is the special switch (DPDT) for the REST of the layout EXCEPT the reverse loop. However, having only only DPDT switch requires you always to enter the reverse loop from a particular direction (depending on whether you are running locos "forward" or "reverse". Adding a second DPDT switch, one for reverse loop, one from rewt of layout, allows entering reverse loop from any direction. This is a generic answer for DC wiring, regardless of brand of switch used, Atlas or whatever.
I don't remember the connections for the Atlas switches, which is the "connector" switch and which is the "selector" etc. so someone else will have to answer that.

Santa Vaca & Santa Fe Rwy. Holy Cow!

Previous Topic: Marlboro MA area hobby shops? Topic Next Topic: Atlas Locomotives  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000