Atlas Model Railroad Co. - 1956 Wreck of N&W 611?
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 29 ]  [ Total: 29 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 1956 Wreck of N&W 611?
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: IM canadian coalporter? Topic Next Topic: Reverse Loop Module wiring
Page: of 5

B_n_O_Hendo

Posted - 2004 December 05 :  9:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit B_n_O_Hendo's Homepage
While at the Train Show today, I noticed a table had a video that said it had the only footage available of the Wreck of J #611. It said the loco slipped the rails, ran down an embankment, and killed the engineer. Unfortunately being this close to X-mas, I have to spend money on others, so I passed on this (for now). But I had never heard of this event. Any of you N&W fans able to fill me in on the details? Thanks.

The B&O is the Way to Go!
"America's Railroad- the B&O!"

My RailImages site:
http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/3555

SLSF Freak

Posted - 2004 December 05 :  11:24:54 PM  Show Profile
You can read details of the incident from the Interstate Commerce Commission report reproduced at this site: http://home.comcast.net/~hoboron/test/icc-report.htm

Apparently it took the curve too fast and indeed ended up on it's side 68 ft below the main at the bottom of the embankment.

Regards,
-Mike

Edited by - SLSF Freak on 2004 December 05 11:30:51 PM

SLSF Freak

Posted - 2004 December 05 :  11:24:54 PM  Show Profile
You can read details of the incident from the Interstate Commerce Commission report reproduced at this site: http://home.comcast.net/~hoboron/test/icc-report.htm

Apparently it took the curve too fast and indeed ended up on it's side 68 ft below the main at the bottom of the embankment.

Regards,
-Mike

Edited by - SLSF Freak on 2004 December 05 11:30:51 PM

siderod II

Posted - 2004 December 05 :  11:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit siderod II's Homepage
Thats a pretty in-depth ICC report...pretty informative and actually kinda fun to read too.

I wonder if there are any pictures of this? That would be an interesting derailment. Sounds sort of simaler to this wreck on the CP Rail Mainline. Picture given to me by Mike Hagarty:

For reference, there is one unit visable, and 2 completely submerged...that unit that is showing is the rear-most unit...the other 2, including the lead unit with the engineer in it, is under water. The engineer died, but i believe the fireman lived...somehow.

While not the wreck your talkin about, B n O, it's a simaler accident, IIRC the rail either gave way, or the track was broken.

.....**
Velcro
Andrew Reid

.....**
N-Scale.net
Siderod's Trains
Last Updated: June 25th, 2006
King Of Trains
Virtual Rail Riders Forum

siderod II

Posted - 2004 December 05 :  11:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit siderod II's Homepage
Thats a pretty in-depth ICC report...pretty informative and actually kinda fun to read too.

I wonder if there are any pictures of this? That would be an interesting derailment. Sounds sort of simaler to this wreck on the CP Rail Mainline. Picture given to me by Mike Hagarty:

For reference, there is one unit visable, and 2 completely submerged...that unit that is showing is the rear-most unit...the other 2, including the lead unit with the engineer in it, is under water. The engineer died, but i believe the fireman lived...somehow.

While not the wreck your talkin about, B n O, it's a simaler accident, IIRC the rail either gave way, or the track was broken.

.....**
Velcro
Andrew Reid

.....**
N-Scale.net
Siderod's Trains
Last Updated: June 25th, 2006
King Of Trains
Virtual Rail Riders Forum

RussStraw

Posted - 2004 December 06 :  12:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit RussStraw's Homepage
It has been pointed out that because the 611 was extensively rebuilt after this wreck, that it was in the best shape of any of the J class engines when it was retired. That is why it was the one chosen to be preserved.

Russell Straw, Sugar Land Route
http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/149

RussStraw

Posted - 2004 December 06 :  12:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit RussStraw's Homepage
It has been pointed out that because the 611 was extensively rebuilt after this wreck, that it was in the best shape of any of the J class engines when it was retired. That is why it was the one chosen to be preserved.

Russell Straw, Sugar Land Route
http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/149

Brakie

Posted - 2004 December 06 :  08:46:40 AM  Show Profile
According to a 83 year old retired N&W engineer friend of mine all of the Js at one time or the other ended up in the Tug Fork as these locomotives was top heavy.He also said that the Js was nick named "Widow Makers".

Larry
Summerset Ry.

Brakie

Posted - 2004 December 06 :  08:46:40 AM  Show Profile
According to a 83 year old retired N&W engineer friend of mine all of the Js at one time or the other ended up in the Tug Fork as these locomotives was top heavy.He also said that the Js was nick named "Widow Makers".

Larry
Summerset Ry.

NandW

Posted - 2004 December 06 :  09:14:35 AM  Show Profile
What makes you think the J was top heavy?

NandW

Posted - 2004 December 06 :  09:14:35 AM  Show Profile
What makes you think the J was top heavy?

B_n_O_Hendo

Posted - 2004 December 06 :  09:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit B_n_O_Hendo's Homepage
You know, with all that shrouding on top, they look kind of top heavy.

My RailImages site:

B_n_O_Hendo

Posted - 2004 December 06 :  09:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit B_n_O_Hendo's Homepage

My RailImages site:

k9wrangler

Posted - 2004 December 06 :  09:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Now days they'd probably use fibreglass or carbon fiber and it would be light as a flea!

Karl Scribner
H.M.F.W.B.I.C.

Sunfield Twp. Michigan

Just a grumpy old man playing with my toy trains!
Friend of SPIKRE

k9wrangler

Posted - 2004 December 06 :  09:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Now days they'd probably use fibreglass or carbon fiber and it would be light as a flea!

Karl Scribner
H.M.F.W.B.I.C.

Sunfield Twp. Michigan

Just a grumpy old man playing with my toy trains!
Friend of SPIKRE

NandW

Posted - 2004 December 06 :  09:41:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by B_n_O_Hendo

Hehe, yes but as you can plainly see, the loco is no higher than an A or a Y6b. There is also shrouding on the sides which is closer to the "center of gravity".

I forget what metal N&W used for the shrouding (I'll look tonight).

I've heard some folks say it was top heavy but I've never seen anything to back this up.. The link above indicates that 611's center of gravity is 77" above the rail - I wonder how this compares to other locos?

I'm quite familiar with the Tug, there are some serious curves in this area. I should go back and read the results of some of the wreck investigations . . .

Edited by - NandW on 2004 December 06 09:46:30 AM

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: IM canadian coalporter? Topic Next Topic: Reverse Loop Module wiring  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000