Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Walthers Pier and pier terminal
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 33 ]  [ Total: 33 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Walthers Pier and pier terminal
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Its MONDAY, weekend modeling accomplishments! Topic Next Topic: Peco point motors  

jholmes006

Posted - 2004 September 10 :  5:31:12 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have this ?? I am looking to use it for my layout based on the port of Portland, ME. I am wondering how many tracks on the pier with the traveling crane and if the pier terminal also comes with a pier on the side. I pier I might use for coal from barges. Any suggestions ?? I need to build a add on for this section and I am not sure if it will be to big.

Thanks

Josh aka nhguy21
Modeling the Maine Central Mountian Division Nov 1976

JeffShultz

Posted - 2004 September 10 :  5:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffShultz's Homepage
I'm also interested in the answers, although it will likely be years before I can use them. I'm doing the other end of the country eventually - Astoria, OR.

Jeff Shultz
Willamette & Pacific - Oregon Electric Branch
http://www.shultzinfosystems.com
Now part of the Model Railroad Hobbyist crew - come join us at
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com

Christian

Posted - 2004 September 10 :  6:04:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
if the pier terminal also comes with a pier on the side.
No pier. Just the building with large loading doors along both sides. Optional platforms for the loading doors. Center opening will clear a freight car clear through the building.

Christian
Ashburn, VA

jholmes006

Posted - 2004 September 10 :  6:10:02 PM  Show Profile
Christian, do you have one of these ?? how much space does it take up ?? and what size car ? I am assuming a standard box, not hi-cube.

Thanks,

Josh

Christian

Posted - 2004 September 10 :  6:37:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jholmes006

Christian, do you have one of these ?? how much space does it take up ?? and what size car ? I am assuming a standard box, not hi-cube.
Without the platforms it is 11.5" wide by 15.5" long. I'd guess the platforms would add a half inch to each side.

The kit allows for a second kit to be added lengthwise. You omit the second ornate front. That would add about 12.5" to the length.

The front opening can clear a double stack by cutting off the sign. (Simple cut.) Otherwise, the front and rear clear a Plate C car easily. I don't have a hi-cube to check.

One note that you don't get from the product photographs. The inside of this building is very well lighted by all the windows. If you leave a door open, the gizzards are very visible.

Christian
Ashburn, VA

Bob Elliott

Posted - 2004 September 10 :  7:03:28 PM  Show Profile
WOW, that's a huge building compared to most HO factories and warehouses -- which are too small to justify rail traffic. The sides sound like fodder for a long flat along the side of a layout, with the front going at the end of a siding so a car can "disappear" into the building.

Bob Elliott

Steve Wagner

Posted - 2004 September 10 :  7:16:29 PM  Show Profile

For whatever interest it may hold, I'm almost certain that the front of the pier building is based on one on Philadelphia's Delaware River waterfront, albeit after considerable "selective compression". (I used to see it from trains on the Frankford El.)

Steve Wagner

Posted - 2004 September 10 :  7:18:33 PM  Show Profile

Josh, since your layout will be based on Portland, Maine, are you going to paint some whales on the sides of a pier building?

(When my wife and I stayed in Portland for a weekend last year, I discovered the whale mural while out for a walk while my wife was still in bed. When I got back I was able enthusiastically to tell her I'd just seen some whales. I showed them to her later.)

JeffShultz

Posted - 2004 September 10 :  7:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffShultz's Homepage
Steve,
Any idea if that was one of Wyland's Whaling Walls?

Jeff Shultz
Willamette & Pacific - Oregon Electric Branch
http://www.shultzinfosystems.com
Now part of the Model Railroad Hobbyist crew - come join us at
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com

jholmes006

Posted - 2004 September 11 :  08:51:03 AM  Show Profile
I just might paint the whales on. I hadn't thought of that yet. It is a whaling wall done by Robert Wyland. The building its on (The BWI/Maine State Pier) is much better suited for a long Pike Stuff blue prefab building. The area I am modeling is a little further into the harbor, but I have the flexibility to include it.

Awesome idea, now I just have to find a way to work the buildings into the layout. Right now I have a 2'X4' base that is already build and used up. I am looking at possibly adding a section built on foam to go in front of the 2x4 module. If I put the buildings parallel to the existing layout they will fit, but if I go vertically I think they will cause the extension to stick out in to the room to far. I know in Portland there were piers that both paralleled the shore and went out from the shore.

Any thoughts???

Josh

Christian

Posted - 2004 September 11 :  09:25:28 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jholmes006

I know in Portland there were piers that both paralleled the shore and went out from the shore.
If the Walthers building is only visible from one side than the wall from the hidden side can be combined with the visible wall to give the long "version" of the building. I've done this with another Walther building using black foam core to replace the "missing" wall. The roof is laced with skylights. I'd use both the Walthers roof panels on the viewer's side. And use either foam-core or Evergreen standing seam on the "off" side. I'd likely use foam core under both sides whatever I did just for strength.

So, the building could be used which ever way the scene was oriented.

Another possibility is to assume that the water is behind the building. Then the visible part is loading for trucks.

Christian
Ashburn, VA

wmcbride

Posted - 2004 September 11 :  10:17:45 AM  Show Profile
I have the travelling crane crane/pier set and the terminal (partially built and it is huge). I would have to check but I am 99 percent sure the pier under the crane has one track. When I was doing a rough layout last year, I recall that Atlas code 83 flex fit the rail recesses perfectly.

The only problem with the piers is the height from the pier pilings. I would have to measure but the height from the bottom of thepilings to the top of the pier (and track level) was some "off" amount. It wasn't 1.5 inches or 2 inches. I was using foam insulation board and I found this a bit irksome.

Bill McBride

jholmes006

Posted - 2004 September 11 :  3:51:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Bill. I am a little worried that it will over dominate the area I am putting it into. I took a few pics of the area. I haven't built the extention, but was thinking of about a foot wide and 3-4 feet long. It would be build on 1-2 pieces of insulation board. I want to use this to help get the feel of a seaport / ocean edge.

Here are the pics.

Download Attachment: DSC00046.JPG
152.86 KB

Download Attachment: DSC00047.JPG
145.19 KB

Download Attachment: DSC00048.JPG
148.15 KB

Download Attachment: DSC00049.JPG
157.35 KB

Thanks,

Josh

DABXKIDD2122

Posted - 2004 September 11 :  4:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit DABXKIDD2122's Homepage
YOu should be fine. The space looks like it would do it.

Visit Amtrak Modeling
Update Coming Soon
http://amtmodeling.com

Steve Wagner

Posted - 2004 September 11 :  5:10:26 PM  Show Profile
Josh, let me suggest a few sources for possible ideas.

A LONG time ago Model Railroader -- or maybe Model Trains, which would make it even longer ago (Sixties) -- had a series on an HO project railroad called Kinnikinnic Railway and Dock. Look it up on the trains magazine index at www.trains.com -- you may have to add a "k" to the end of the word (a river in Milwaukee).

A more recent MR project railroad was based on a container terminal in Los Angeles, I think.

John Pryke's even more recent series on the Union Freight Railroad (based on New Haven's old subsidiary along part of Boston's waterfront) a year or two ago has some good ideass; his "How to Build City Scenery" book (also from Kalmbach) has more.

Edited by - Steve Wagner on 2004 September 11 5:11:44 PM

jholmes006

Posted - 2004 September 13 :  3:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Well I decided to purchase both. I took a little trip today to the Portland area and looked at how it is setup. Most of docks parellel the shore. While there isn't a building like the terminal, there use to be and it had a dock with several large gantry cranes used to unload Kaolin clay. After looking at a few pic's I think I will use them together. The terminal on the shore and the pier next to it in the water.
I am going to build the base from plywood and the shore/land from foam. I read in another post to not let the Woodlands scene's liquid water touch the foam, so this is the reason for the wood.

I will post pics in a few weeks when its done.

Josh
http://community.webshots.com/user/nhguy21

Previous Topic: Its MONDAY, weekend modeling accomplishments! Topic Next Topic: Peco point motors  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000