Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Best way to re-power an Athearn RTR
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 39 ]  [ Total: 39 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Best way to re-power an Athearn RTR
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Belt driven locomotive Topic Next Topic: Train meet May 17th and 18th Allentown Pa off I-78
Page: of 2

Coasterp

Posted - 2008 April 21 :  11:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Picked up an RTR AC4400. I had heard these were hit and miss on the running quality. Mine seams a little stiff and is noisy. I will of course be giving it some time to break in but am thinking I may repower it down the road. What motors are available that will make this an easy job. I have heard some use Genesis motors but I am not sure if they come with the hex hole in the fly wheel to insert the drive shaft. Who knows?

el3637

Posted - 2008 April 21 :  12:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
I got hold of a recent run dash 9 and it was the worst of the recent motor problem locos. I replaced with a Kato motor and flywheel combo I scavenged from the workbench. The shafts and everything lined right up.

I have not tried to remove the flywheels from any of the current Athearn motors. The Genesis motor may be a good choice but it's expensive. For that reason I haven't gone that route... yet. I have built up a small fleet of about 10 SP locos that are all Athearn RTR. At least one GP40X, SD40, and SD45T-2 will probably need to be remotored. My first choice would be to swap out known good motors from other Athearn RTR, but so far I don't have any good running RTR I want to cannibalize.

Andy

Roadkill

Posted - 2008 April 21 :  12:51:16 PM  Show Profile
I repowered some old blue box engines with A-Line motor kits and Athearn circuit boards which make for easy wiring. Kind of an expensive route though, but I painted these engines myself and wanted them to be DCC. They run pretty well!

Don Gibson

Posted - 2008 April 21 :  1:01:42 PM  Show Profile
Athearn seemingly has always has had bad motors / or bad inspection of motors coming in. Some work well, some don't.

The KING of Athearn upgrades is A-Line. Start with the motor & flywheels.

http://www.ppw-aline.com/re-power.htm

Don Gibson
                                      ______
                       I I__()____||__| |||||
                          ((((|__|----------|  |  ||||||||||
                     //---O O O O--OO oo oo
                     #######################     

NW2

Posted - 2008 April 21 :  4:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Athearn developed the hex shaped flywheels for their genesis locos before applying it the RTR line. I believe the roco motor they are currently using is 2mm so the flywheel could be applied to other can motors, however, I dont know if the flywheels are available separately.

Wishing for
Alco T6, EMD FL9 All in CONRAIL of course.
Alco S6 - South Buffalo RR
(C430 Sorry I'm kitbashing my own)

graftonterminalrr

Posted - 2008 April 21 :  5:01:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit graftonterminalrr's Homepage
My advice - scour our favorite online auction site for cheap, old Front Range Geeps. (They have TAPP trucks, and this is the only outward indication of what manufacturer they may be, so that's how they may be listed).

Why, you say? Because they have Mashima can motors, and an Athearn-compatible mounting system. They run real good, except for the crap TAPP trucks.

Owner/Operator of the Grafton Terminal Railway, set in the 1978-1984 period

Alcofanbob

Posted - 2008 April 21 :  5:22:47 PM  Show Profile
Anyone else wondering when Athearn's gonna correct the RTR drive once and for all? All that money into r&d and tooling to create some very nice plastic, only to have a sub standard drive under it. I don't get it. Just think of all the units you'd buy or be tempted to buy if every RTR ran like a Kato or Altas. I know this topic is getting old and tired but so is the ongoing frustration with RTR drives. Keep the dream alive. One of these days its gonna "click" with one of the "suits" at Horizon.

Bob

Bob

Alco's 4 strokes - suck, squeeze, bang & blow!!

wnanney

Posted - 2008 April 21 :  5:35:29 PM  Show Profile
I have been buying some of the Athearn RTR AC4400 motors only with drive train, circuit board with 9 pin JST DCC plug, lights, mounting screws and pickup wires for $20 each on that famous auction site. I have re-motored some Athearn RTR's and some P2K's with those motors and they have all been very good motors that run very nicely.

The dog bone drive train makes the P2K E units run like a Kato except with the correct speed for those locomotives not like the Kato F40PH's. I might redo the Kato F40PH's with one of those motors to see if I can get those to run close to realistic speeds for a F40PH.

Anyway, since the assembled units are hit and miss try having some of those motors around if you think that is the problem. I don't think the motors are an issue as I have yet to have one of these motors be noisy or bad out of about 15 or so.

Bill
Arizona

sd80mac

Posted - 2008 April 22 :  10:43:10 PM  Show Profile

Hey Andy,
What do you consider expensive? The Genesis motor and flywheels is only $29.98

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATHG63842

Donnell

quote:
Originally posted by el3637

I got hold of a recent run dash 9 and it was the worst of the recent motor problem locos. I replaced with a Kato motor and flywheel combo I scavenged from the workbench. The shafts and everything lined right up.

I have not tried to remove the flywheels from any of the current Athearn motors. The Genesis motor may be a good choice but it's expensive. For that reason I haven't gone that route... yet. I have built up a small fleet of about 10 SP locos that are all Athearn RTR. At least one GP40X, SD40, and SD45T-2 will probably need to be remotored. My first choice would be to swap out known good motors from other Athearn RTR, but so far I don't have any good running RTR I want to cannibalize.

Andy

Romans 10:9-10

el3637

Posted - 2008 April 23 :  01:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sd80mac

30 bucks is at the high end of replacement motors. The Genesis motors are fine, but if I'm going to shell out 30 bucks for a replacement, it will be a Kato. Kato motors can be had for 20 bucks without flywheels, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to transplant the Athearn FW. Kato motors with FW run about 30 bucks but are not available right now it seems. I'm not that set in my ways... I'm also considering using Atlas trucks to repower some of my older P2K geeps... with either Atlas or Kato motors - thanks to the Bannadaptors I can use Athearn Blombergs. The new Proto 14:1 helical trucks sound very promising but -- without the easy Athearn sideframe option.

Andy

Coasterp

Posted - 2008 April 23 :  05:22:56 AM  Show Profile
If I understand correctly, the motors used in the Genesis line are not the same as those used in the Blue Box or RTR lines? If that is the case, what is different about them?

NW2

Posted - 2008 April 23 :  09:33:25 AM  Show Profile
The athearn RTR are of the same design as the bluebox ones. I remember something about improved magnets were used in some of the bluebox later releases like the ac4400w and 9-44cw. I dont know if any other improvements were made to them when they switched manufacturing to china but they appear alsmost identical. The athearn also has a skewed armature with a 1/8" diameter shaft and is held together with clips. Its design leds itself for easier manufacturing and less precision. The Current genesis motor is made by roco. The roco's have 2mm diameter shafts and a skewed armature. Roco and other can motors appeared to be made with more precision.

Wishing for
Alco T6, EMD FL9 All in CONRAIL of course.
Alco S6 - South Buffalo RR
(C430 Sorry I'm kitbashing my own)

Coasterp

Posted - 2008 April 23 :  09:49:21 AM  Show Profile
OK. Back to what I asked originally. Can I drop a Genesis motor into my AC4400 to replace the current motor?

wnanney

Posted - 2008 April 23 :  11:09:43 AM  Show Profile
I have put Genesis motors in Athearn RTR Chassis but I have not dealt specifically with the AC4400 chassis. The AMD-103 chassis required a little Dremel tool work to get the Genesis motor to drop in place. But it does work.

Bill
Arizona

sd80mac

Posted - 2008 April 24 :  1:46:40 PM  Show Profile
Yes.
quote:
Originally posted by Coasterp

OK. Back to what I asked originally. Can I drop a Genesis motor into my AC4400 to replace the current motor?

sd80mac

Posted - 2008 April 24 :  4:20:37 PM  Show Profile
It depends on the source of the flywheels. You cannot purchase Kato flywheels separately. And, if you want to transplant Athearn RTR flywheels to the Kato motor you have to use some sort of sleve or bushing as the flywheel's hole is large than the Kato 2mm shaft. By the time you figure out how to transplant and/or mount flywheels of the $20 Kato motor you will have spent more than $30 worth of time and materials...

Donnell

quote:
Originally posted by el3637

quote:
Originally posted by sd80mac

30 bucks is at the high end of replacement motors. The Genesis motors are fine, but if I'm going to shell out 30 bucks for a replacement, it will be a Kato. Kato motors can be had for 20 bucks without flywheels, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to transplant the Athearn FW. Kato motors with FW run about 30 bucks but are not available right now it seems. I'm not that set in my ways... I'm also considering using Atlas trucks to repower some of my older P2K geeps... with either Atlas or Kato motors - thanks to the Bannadaptors I can use Athearn Blombergs. The new Proto 14:1 helical trucks sound very promising but -- without the easy Athearn sideframe option.

Andy

Edited by - sd80mac on 2008 April 24 4:42:52 PM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Belt driven locomotive Topic Next Topic: Train meet May 17th and 18th Allentown Pa off I-78  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000