Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Alco Tri-Mount Trucks
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Alco Tri-Mount Trucks
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Layout Plan: Hare Rabbit Central Topic Next Topic: GP-38 Help  

Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Posted - 2008 January 22 :  10:34:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bob Rupp-Kilgore's Homepage
I understand that the axle spacing for Alco tri-mounts is 6' 11" and 5' 7" from the middle axle with the bolster offset 22". What commercially available HO scale models come with this type of truck? From what I can tell, BLI's RSD-15 does, but I'm not sure about the other Alco's (c628, c630, etc.)

This would be for a kitbash project I have in mind which I'll talk about more later.

www.oldmuleysroundhouse.com

Gnarly

Posted - 2008 January 22 :  12:40:09 PM  Show Profile
The Stewart Alco units have offset wheel spacing. Heck even the
Baldwins do. Those Rigid Commonwealth things.

Gnarly
Modeling western railroading in HO

Robby

Posted - 2008 January 22 :  1:18:12 PM  Show Profile
The Overland U25C model has the correct Tri-mounts for the L&N version. Not sure if they are correct dimensional-wise but they look good running with old Stewart C628/630 models.

Robby
Building the L&N CV Subdivision in HO Scale
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd247/robby-ky/CV%20Subdivision%20Layout/

D.Harrison

Posted - 2008 January 22 :  1:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit D.Harrison's Homepage
Haven't looked at them up close or with an eye for kitbashing, but what's under Bachmann's E-33 electric locomotive?

David Harrison

Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Posted - 2008 January 22 :  2:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bob Rupp-Kilgore's Homepage
The most important thing is the offset of the axles on the trucks. Sideframes really don't matter since I'd be adding something that is heavily modified anyway.

navarch2

Posted - 2008 January 22 :  3:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit navarch2's Homepage
The new Kaslo U-25C chassis has the correct trucks/spacing for the GE version of the trimount. Not exactly the same, but close.

Bob

Visit the Providence Northern at:

www.providencenorthern.com

navarch2

Posted - 2008 January 22 :  3:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit navarch2's Homepage
...and isn't the trimount truck under the RSD series units, different than the one under the C628/C630? (Not counting the Hi-Ad trucks under the C636 and maybe some C630's.)

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Bob

Visit the Providence Northern at:

www.providencenorthern.com

jward

Posted - 2008 January 22 :  7:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit jward's Homepage
not exactly sure about the axle spacing, but the ge version of the trimount has much thicker drop equalizers than the alco version, with a noticeable taper toward the center axle. they are good for u25c, early u28c, and not much else. possibly used under the e33 and 3\e44 electrics, but i don't have photos available....

Jeffery S Ward Sr
The unofficial EMD homepage.
http://www.trainweb.org/emdloco

ACL1099

Posted - 2008 January 22 :  9:46:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by navarch2

...and isn't the trimount truck under the RSD series units, different than the one under the C628/C630? (Not counting the Hi-Ad trucks under the C636 and maybe some C630's.)

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Yes, the Century version has a different appearance. Otherwise we'd have all put RSD4/5 trucks under our Stewart Centuries

And the U25C/E33 trucks are trimounts but are very very different from the Alco version, with much heavier drop equalizers than the Alco version.

Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Posted - 2008 January 25 :  1:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bob Rupp-Kilgore's Homepage
Thanks for the information guys! I think I've got my answer.

TREBOR

Posted - 2008 January 25 :  4:40:29 PM  Show Profile
I think the SP's C643dh's had a third type of Alco tri-mount.

DIAPHONE 32'

JR

Posted - 2008 January 25 :  7:05:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TREBOR

I think the SP's C643dh's had a third type of Alco tri-mount.

No, the same Tri-Mount, just reversed to accomodate the Carden shafts and Voith hardware.

JR

Bsklarski

Posted - 2008 January 25 :  8:52:05 PM  Show Profile
I just uncovered a mass of detail parts and cannon EN22 motors, and many sets of different trucks. I know some are alco trucks due to the odd spacing. what do you need? This is all stock from E&P Associates from a few years ago. Some of the parts are fans, dynamic brakes, fans, detail parts, antenna, plows, beacons, hoses, ect

Brian
NECR

damnant quodnon intelligunt

Brian Sklarski
NECR Engineer

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

Previous Topic: Layout Plan: Hare Rabbit Central Topic Next Topic: GP-38 Help  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000