Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Minimum Turning Radius
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 47 ]  [ Total: 47 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Minimum Turning Radius
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Sunrise Enterprises???? Topic Next Topic: Digitrax Sound for Kato F40ph and SD38-2?  

adiant

Posted - 2007 November 12 :  7:24:00 PM  Show Profile
I plan to use Atlas Code 83 Super-Flex Track (Part #500) for everything except the 9" Terminal Track (#554), and have purchased a Bachmann Spectrum Mikado 2-8-2 (Part #83211) steam locomotive, as I want to model the Old West in Canada.

I need to figure out what size of plywood to cut, to place over the 29" x 79.75" ledge above the front entrance closet. I was thinking of 38" wide to allow twinning of track with a 18" minimum turning radius. But I can find no documentation from Bachmann about how tight the locomotive can turn.

I'm also assuming that cars from that era (1800's) are short enough, that they won't be an issue with an 18" turning radius.

Any comments, suggestions, ideas or gotchas would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by - adiant on 2007 November 12 7:50:33 PM

rayw46

Posted - 2007 November 12 :  8:39:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm not an expert, but I'm not sure that particular 2-8-2 would be exactly right for that era, maybe better suited for sometime after 1910. I have an Athearn Mikado. I've never tried it on 18" radius curves, but it will negotiate a #4 turnout with no problems.

Ray

basementdweller

Posted - 2007 November 12 :  8:56:18 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum.
If you can easily purchase some pieces of track, anything would do, then you could rig up a short piece of test track, just nail down some track to a board in the right radius, maybe add a turn out too, give it some power and see how the loco performs.

Or wait for someone who runs a 2-8-2 on 18" curves to reply.

My concern when locos are run on curves that are as tight as possible for a given loco is that it leaves little room for error. The track must be laid perfect or the slighest defect and you are more likely to have a derailment, and it doesn't sound like you have much room for error before the loco takes a plunge to the floor.

The difference by adding a little more space and going from 18" to 20 or 22" radius curves is huge, even just adding easements can help significantly. It doesn't sound like this is possible by the dimensions you have given, but give it some thought.
Another option is to email your question to Bachmann.
Last comment, that Spectrum will be a fine running loco.
Good luck.

It's all scenery.

Don Gibson

Posted - 2007 November 12 :  9:14:22 PM  Show Profile
NMRA recommends 40' cars (4"X3) for 18" curves. A 20' car will handle 9"r. easily.

Curves aren't your problem - it's the length of the cars on top. 'Square pegs in round holes' - so to speak

Don Gibson
                                      ______
                       I I__()____||__| |||||
                          ((((|__|----------|  |  ||||||||||
                     //---O O O O--OO oo oo
                     #######################     

adiant

Posted - 2007 November 12 :  9:22:12 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for your responses. I had trouble finding a brand/line of steam locomotive I liked, in the era I wanted, so I cheated somewhat. Technically it is modelled on a Chinese manufactured engine from less than 20 years ago, but I understood that these Mikado steam locomotives really hadn't changed significantly since they were first manufactured in 1897.

I had already planned to put a raised edge on the two exposed sides of the plywood, but the derailment issue will ensure I make it tall enough to prevent the eight foot drop to the floor.

I spent way too much time looking for a Bachmann forum before posing the question here. And now, going back to e-mail Bachmann, I see the forum first thing on their site.

Edited by - adiant on 2007 November 12 9:24:02 PM

leikec

Posted - 2007 November 12 :  10:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Whatever you decide on curve radius, try to give yourself more room than 38". The measurement on curve radius is to the center between the two rails, so even though the track radius is 18", the turnaround curve will demand a wider section of benchwork.

As Basementdweller said, it would be a good idea to buy some 18" and 22" sectional track and do testing - and you can get a much better idea of how your track plan will operate by laying it out full-size.

Jeff C

wjstix

Posted - 2007 November 13 :  5:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit wjstix's Homepage
I suspect it will take 18" radius curves, most HO 2-8-2's will and this is a fairly small mikado to boot. But to be sure, ask the Bach Man!!

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/

Stix

BNSF / CP to you...CB&Q / Milwaukee Road to me !!

adiant

Posted - 2007 November 20 :  12:30:04 PM  Show Profile
The Bach Man had the answer: 18" minimum turning radius for that particular model (Spectrum Mikado).

Thanks again everyone!

steve turner

Posted - 2007 November 20 :  1:54:30 PM  Show Profile
Minimum is like the building code........bare minimum. Extra is better abd it will look better without it looking like its cutting the corner.

JeffShultz

Posted - 2007 November 20 :  4:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffShultz's Homepage
Yeah, I've got an 18" radius reverse loop around my staging yard and it's pretty much that - absolute minimum. My 4-axle Atlas locos (C425, GP38/40) don't have a problem with it, but some 73' cars and a six axle Athearn SD45T-2 are decidedly unhappy. I'm not sure that four big axles together are going to like it all that much more.

I'd shoot for 22" if you can get the room. Unfortunately, I couldn't.

Jeff Shultz
Willamette & Pacific - Oregon Electric Branch
http://www.shultzinfosystems.com
Now part of the Model Railroad Hobbyist crew - come join us at
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com

Don Gibson

Posted - 2007 November 20 :  7:45:42 PM  Show Profile
BIGGER IS BETTER, Right? - Except when it's cheaper.

98% of our premade models use 22" radius / #6 turnouts for mainline, and 18"-20"r. / #4s for yards.

Beginners like 'Snap' switches, because you can put more track on a 4X8 board... Hence the term 'SPAGHETTI BOWLS. Avoid - even if you're Italian.

RR's are 30' wide and 300 miles+ long and they deliver goods from one place to another. They also tend to cross and follow River valleys.

Don Gibson
                                      ______
                       I I__()____||__| |||||
                          ((((|__|----------|  |  ||||||||||
                     //---O O O O--OO oo oo
                     #######################     

Edited by - Don Gibson on 2007 November 20 7:50:33 PM

chastrains

Posted - 2007 November 20 :  10:10:21 PM  Show Profile
I too had run a 2-8-2 Mikado on 18" radius and had no problem also didn't have any problem through #4 turnouts. To be honest I would prefer 22" radius if you can fit it. But I had no problem with 18" radius.

steve turner

Posted - 2007 November 21 :  01:39:27 AM  Show Profile
To my way of thinking even if 18 inche does do the job if it looks nasty and is not nice or appealing to the eye i dont know if i would want it. I guess thats the other side of the equation! Running of course is a big issue but i think eye appeal is also important to the modeller. Many locos are made for 18 inche curves, driver and wheel designs are made to fit 18 inche curves but!!!!!!! .

wjstix

Posted - 2007 November 21 :  08:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit wjstix's Homepage
If someone were new to the hobby (i.e., didn't already have a big investment in HO stuff sitting around), and their space was so limited that they could only use 18" radius curves, I would consider suggesting they drop down a size and model N scale, where 15-18" curves would be 'broad' and they could run anything they wanted to - big steam / diesel, full size passenger cars, the works. It only costs $10 to visit the LHS and pick up the latest Walthers N/Z catalog and see what's available.

Stix

BNSF / CP to you...CB&Q / Milwaukee Road to me !!

Previous Topic: Sunrise Enterprises???? Topic Next Topic: Digitrax Sound for Kato F40ph and SD38-2?  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000