Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Athearn 4 Truck Heavy Duty Flatcar
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 41 ]  [ Total: 41 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Athearn 4 Truck Heavy Duty Flatcar
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Super Chief on TV Today Topic Next Topic: Atlas  Alco S-1 thru  S-4  

EMDFAN

Posted - 2007 September 17 :  2:58:54 PM  Show Profile
I have one of these cars and was wondering if it ever had a prototype and what years this type (style??) car is accurate for? It's a neat car and i would like to use it on a modern era layout but have no idea what years it is accurate for or if any are still around and in service today.

jrbernier

Posted - 2007 September 17 :  4:55:12 PM  Show Profile
This is a correct car. It is used to carry heavy loads(the 8 axles spread the total weight). There were a lot of 'depressed' center cars for High/Wide loads as well.

Jim

Modeling the Milwaukee Road in SW Wisconsin - In the 50's!

Slatepicker

Posted - 2007 September 17 :  5:35:22 PM  Show Profile
One example:

D&H 16153 shows at Binghamton in December 1985 with an interesting but mostly covered load.

It is painted red showing a paint date of 1-83 at Oneonta.

Page 103 of the D&H color guide.

Delaware and Hudson 1960-1983
Erie Lackawanna 1960-1976
And others 1960-1983

DWMills

Posted - 2007 September 17 :  5:52:28 PM  Show Profile
Here is a pic of mine that I modified with Athearn Buckeye trucks. Having seen enough guys have trouble keepin' 'em on the rail with all those wheels, I did this mod to give the car a different appearance and make her easier to keep on the tracks. The Buckeyes work great!!
http://www.railroadforum.com/upload/tankertoad70/WECX101.4.jpg

Don in 'ORYGUN' City

Benny

Posted - 2007 September 17 :  6:45:24 PM  Show Profile
if Spikre was here he'd give you an earfull to adnaseum about when and where this car is correct - I miss that guy...

Jim from Valencia CA

Posted - 2007 September 17 :  8:23:24 PM  Show Profile
There is an article in the current issue of RMC about this car.

Steve Wagner

Posted - 2007 September 17 :  8:29:41 PM  Show Profile
The article in the October RMC is actually about detailing a Walthers two-truck depressed center car (Soo Line prototype from the 1960's or 1970's).

The four-truck "heavy duty" flatcar that both Athearn and MDC Roundhouse originally made in cast metal before Athearn did the same car in styrene, dates back to the 1950's, at least. The D&H had several of them, mainly to carry heavy General Electric equipment from Schenectady, NY. At least one was in use at least as recently as a couple of years ago, because I found one at the Port of Albany carrying heavy electric generating equipment destined for Vietnam!

Bearcreekwest

Posted - 2007 September 17 :  10:17:48 PM  Show Profile
The Athearn flatcar resembles a PRR F34 flatcar - however, the framework is too tall.

http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=F34.gif&sel=flat&sz=sm&fr=ge

Don

PRRT&HS 7555
OERM 2133
SASME

Previous Topic: Super Chief on TV Today Topic Next Topic: Atlas  Alco S-1 thru  S-4  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000