Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Orange packing house
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 36 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Orange packing house
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: test post Topic Next Topic: April Finishes in the 90s - My BNSF Rememberances  

TJS909

Posted - 2007 April 25 :  9:58:19 PM  Show Profile
Hello all, I just want to see if there is much interest out there for a new kit I want to produce. Here are photos of the progress thus far. I'm working on a curved roof with an elongated cupola/vent on the center. It is about 6 1/2" x 3 3/4" x 2 1/2".

Download Attachment: 100_0874.JPG
611.23 KB

Flxw1

Posted - 2007 April 26 :  01:08:35 AM  Show Profile
Looks good so far. Reminds me of buildings seen here in the Southwest, would fit my scheme of things. UP layout Az-NM. Let's see more please??

Sigalert

Posted - 2007 April 26 :  01:19:17 AM  Show Profile
I'd buy one -- there aren't enough California style buildings available -- most commercial kits have the Milwaukee look.

BenW

Posted - 2007 April 26 :  09:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit BenW's Homepage
You might check with the Citrus Modeling Yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/citrusmodeling/). There are over 660 members.
Ben

sp_train_77

Posted - 2007 April 26 :  3:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit sp_train_77's Homepage
Nice start on the packing house. citrus farming is a great modeling subject. The packing houses were relatively small and had a relatively small number of cars delivered to them at a time. The SP would scurry about Southern and Central California doing pickups and setouts throughout the day, perfect for the scale of our model railroads.

There is a web site on Southern California packing houses at http://ljames1.home.netcom.com/scph.html
and one on Northern California packing houses at
http://scph002.home.netcom.com/cncph.html

There is also a site dealing with packing house models at
http://scph.home.netcom.com/scph_models.html

"Sacramento" Bruce Conklin

If guns cause crime then pencils cause misspelled words!

TiVoPrince

Posted - 2007 April 26 :  4:33:14 PM  Show Profile
Chequebook
at the ready. Can't get enough 'California'. Since these became everything from supermarkets to roller rinks as time weny by you don't need a 'citrus' industry for this model...

spades

Posted - 2007 April 26 :  11:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Yesteryear Models produces a laser cut kit of a Sunkist packing house. If you can find them Pegaus? Models has a packing house kit. Showcase Minatures showed a wall for a packing house that look alot like the packing house in Bob Smaus RMC article but it was never released.

Greg

Sigalert

Posted - 2007 April 27 :  12:09:57 AM  Show Profile
The Showcase kit was a model of one of the buildings at the Sunkist packing house in San Fernando; it was announced in HO with a "maybe" for N scale, but nothing yet. N Scale Architect did a kit similar to the Satacoy plant a few years ago and has one based on the Cal Fame house in Escondido (but similar to Sunkist buildings in San Fernando and Goleta,among others) that is still available.

old_coaster

Posted - 2007 April 27 :  02:30:31 AM  Show Profile
Looks promising so far. I'd definitely be interested. (I'd also second the earlier suggestion that you check with http://groups.yahoo.com/group/citrusmodeling/ , if you've not done so already.)

Regards,
Paul

"We need to talk about this . . ."

TJS909

Posted - 2007 April 28 :  05:04:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Paul and Bruce for the cool links.

Sigalert

Posted - 2007 May 04 :  11:56:34 PM  Show Profile
When do you expect these might be available? I could use one (or 2 to kitbash).

leighant

Posted - 2007 May 05 :  1:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit leighant's Homepage
I guess this is an off-topic post-- or maybe the confessions of a shameless intellectual property thief. TJS909's kit-in-progress gives me some ideas for the architectural treatment of a COTTON COMPRESS I want to freelance. My prototype "semi-source" had what I recalled for years and years since childhood as very elaborate ends for an industrial building, and fancy landscaping. Palm trees, oleander and bouganvillaea. I called that four-block row of compress and cotton sheds the "garden warehouse district". The photos I had the fortune to take before it was unexpectedly demolished (I thought it would stand as a landmark forever) show it not as fancy as I remembered. But using a slightly "Mission Style" building end, like the TJR909 kit, will give much the feeling I want. The rest of the building will be very different, since cotton handling involves concrete firewalls, gravity and counterweight operated fire doors, etc.
Anyway, thanks for the inspiration...

Santa Vaca & Santa Fe Rwy. Holy Cow!

Kisatchie

Posted - 2007 May 05 :  2:26:20 PM  Show Profile
I think we all know what sort of packing house Dee wants to see...

"Hmm... a pistol packing
house...?"

spades

Posted - 2007 May 05 :  4:53:34 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Sigalert

The Showcase kit was a model of one of the buildings at the Sunkist packing house in San Fernando; it was announced in HO with a "maybe" for N scale, but nothing yet.

I looked at the Showcase website. When Showcase first started, either in an add or their early kits they displayed a photograph of a packing house wall. It was a stucco packing house wall based on the packing house article by Bob Smaus in RMC. I inquired about the wall at the NMRA convention held in San Jose. It seems it never advanced beyond the prototype stage

Greg

Edited by - spades on 2007 May 06 1:51:02 PM

sp_train_77

Posted - 2007 May 05 :  5:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit sp_train_77's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by leighant

architectural treatment of a COTTON COMPRESS I want to freelance.

Well, Kalifornia is a major cotton producer so you could reasonably expect to see mission-style gins and compresses scattered through SoCal along with the citrus packing houses.

"Sacramento" Bruce Conklin

If guns cause crime then pencils cause misspelled words!

Previous Topic: test post Topic Next Topic: April Finishes in the 90s - My BNSF Rememberances  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000