Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Ice Houses
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 41 ]  [ Total: 41 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Ice Houses
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Last call Topic Next Topic: Dec 1 Life Magazine Covers NMRA National Show  

CNW Buff

Posted - 2006 November 30 :  09:36:11 AM  Show Profile
I have a Walthers Ice house that I have constructed. I painted it white, but don't know if that is particularly prototypical. I am modeling the CNW in Wisconsin. Can anyone recommend a source for a photo of ice houses from this area.

Thanks, Rich

NHguy

Posted - 2006 November 30 :  10:49:01 AM  Show Profile
Here's an interesting photo:
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullRecord.asp?id=11341&qstring=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewisconsinhistory%2Eorg%2Fwhi%2Fresults%2Easp%3Fsubject%5Fnarrow%3DIce%2Bindustry

Try typing "Wisconsin Ice Industry" into Google You'll get plenty of info. I like the photos of the trucks and such.

Ice was a big indistry in New England. The ice was harvested out of a lot of lakes and stored in these Ice Houses Most in New england were barn red with white trim to blend in with the other farms. They used straw as an insulator. It was very effective as the ice would last into July or August using this method. Then came the ammonia refrigerant which was used extensivly and then Freon/mechanical.

Bill Shanaman
Go New Haven!
NY,NH & H RR Co.
NCE User since 1999
http://rides.webshots.com/album/145199856bFDImR
NHRHTA #1417

Dutchman46

Posted - 2006 November 30 :  11:02:01 AM  Show Profile
Rich,

Pictures I have of ice houses located next to creameries in the northeast show them painted white like the creamery.

I recently saw one of the Walther's Ice Houses on a modular layout at a show. The modeler had shortened it a bit. It was painted an antique white, I think.

Bruce
Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

jrbernier

Posted - 2006 November 30 :  2:45:40 PM  Show Profile
The Walthers model is patterned on either a SOO or C&NW ice house in Antigo, WI. The actual platform is based on a standard PFE design according to the information shipped with the kit.

Jim

Modeling the Milwaukee Road in SW Wisconsin - In the 50's!

jrbernier

Posted - 2006 November 30 :  2:49:29 PM  Show Profile
As a side note. Most of these structures had very thick walls with sawdust insulation. There was one at the Swift Packing plant in South St Paul, MN. The ice house was torn down in 1970, and there was still blocks of ice in it(no mechanical refridgeration). The last ice reefer was shipped at least 5-7 years before that! That sawdust insulation works pretty good....

Jim Bernier

Modeling the Milwaukee Road in SW Wisconsin - In the 50's!

basementdweller

Posted - 2006 December 01 :  11:30:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:
The ice house was torn down in 1970, and there was still blocks of ice in it(no mechanical refridgeration). The last ice reefer was shipped at least 5-7 years before that! That sawdust insulation works pretty good....

Amazing!
There is an old ice house still standing near where I live.
I will try to get a pic.

It's all scenery.

Previous Topic: Last call Topic Next Topic: Dec 1 Life Magazine Covers NMRA National Show  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000